Buying my first valve amp.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Didn't know about the sneaky amps thing, but it looks like it is simply a way of importing the amp models from the Boss GT100....

https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/blob/master/how-to/use-28-amp-types.md
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So all of my gear is now sold and I think I'm 100% sold on the Katana 100. I was debating the 2x12 but that's definitely overkill. I think this thread can come to a close, thanks for everyones recommendation of the Katana, turns out it's just what I wanted.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:
    That’s overpriced for such a limited, poorly-made amp. They do have a distinctive sound and look but it’s in spite of the quality rather than because of it.
    Yeah.
  • NelsonP said:
    I spotted this on Andertons youtube last night, I was set on a HT-5 but this thread put me off. Maybe we need a new "Is the 2019 HT-5 any good" thread?  =)
  • DmlkDmlk Frets: 15
    It would be personal preference but it will be worth trying the new 2019 ht5 for yourself. From that video link they do sound very nice and better than older models of ht series. Play the amps if you can in the shops and judge what you think sounds better. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    edited January 2019
    Another solid state option might be the Fender Champion 40 or 50. Nothing like as versatile as the Katana, but it does do those Fendery cleans very well indeed. A friend has the 40 and it does sound distinctly Fender. I believe the 50 has, apart from the extra 10W, a rather better speaker.

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/labs/boss-katana-50-vs-fender-champion-50xl

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    NelsonP said:
    I spotted this on Andertons youtube last night, I was set on a HT-5 but this thread put me off. Maybe we need a new "Is the 2019 HT-5 any good" thread?  =)
    Watch Andertons video on the new HT-5 closely...

Less, gain more volume...

Just a bit more volume, sorry Bea,

Bit more volume...

There that's better (with volume on about 8), this sounds great...

Even small valve amps need a lot of volume (in home terms, not Mesa Boogie terms) to sound good, they just do.  Some will say "they are fine at home volumes" but they may then go on to reveal they live in a detatched house, or have a soundproofed garage, or a basement.  I have none of those things so playing with an amp at all can only be for short periods, and mostly im through headphones!!

Something like a Katana will sound worse at max volume, and will not have the response some players who ride the volume control etc. will expect from a valve amp.

BUT - at home volumes in 0.5w mode it's almost perfect (only size and an absence of a tuner are weaknesses).

It can also be cranked up and even the Katana 50 can do small gigs.  In small rehearsal rooms the 25w mode keeps up with a drummer (this is from personal experience).

The Katana 50 and 100 remain gear's biggest bargains.  The head is great as well (but you need a cab for best results, so lots of space/angry partner) and the artist is damn pricey.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    ^^^ Very good point

Katana it is then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Even small valve amps need a lot of volume (in home terms, not Mesa Boogie terms) to sound good, they just do.  Some will say "they are fine at home volumes" but they may then go on to reveal they live in a detatched house, or have a soundproofed garage, or a basement.
    That's really not always true. There are plenty of valve amps, including ones right up to 100W or more, that genuinely sound great at whisper volume.

It's all in the way the controls are designed, nothing to do with the output power. Many Mesa/Boogies are actually a good example, because they often have multiple master volume controls (one is usually called 'output level') which are in series, so you can turn both of them down and get a better - and much more controllable - low-volume sound than with only one.

In fact many small amps are actually *harder* to turn down and still sound good than that sort of amp.

Guitarists seem to have a strange idea about amps and volume - it's as if everyone who buys a car then drives everywhere flat-out, just because the car will go that fast.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2556
    My Blackstar HT40 Vintage Pro sounds fantastic at low volumes in my flat and also when cranked elsewhere. Great cleans to very heavy gain on both channels. I doubt I'll ever sell it, a superb amp.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:
    Even small valve amps need a lot of volume (in home terms, not Mesa Boogie terms) to sound good, they just do.  Some will say "they are fine at home volumes" but they may then go on to reveal they live in a detatched house, or have a soundproofed garage, or a basement.
    That's really not always true. There are plenty of valve amps, including ones right up to 100W or more, that genuinely sound great at whisper volume.

It's all in the way the controls are designed, nothing to do with the output power. Many Mesa/Boogies are actually a good example, because they often have multiple master volume controls (one is usually called 'output level') which are in series, so you can turn both of them down and get a better - and much more controllable - low-volume sound than with only one.

In fact many small amps are actually *harder* to turn down and still sound good than that sort of amp.

Guitarists seem to have a strange idea about amps and volume - it's as if everyone who buys a car then drives everywhere flat-out, just because the car will go that fast.
    Judging by the way a lot of people drive around here, that seems to be what they're doing! :D

Seriously, though, I agree with you.