Umm Firebirds are so comfy.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
I purchased my first reverse body Firebird after seeing a nice 2013 vintage sunburst  model with the Steinberger tuners and a lyra vibrola come up for sale on evilbay for a good price.

It's a lovely guitar, but what I never realised was just how light and comfy they are. The ergonics are sublime. With the lighter tuners the balance on the strap is excellent and if set to the right height the raised upper bout of the body ever so gently support the arm's weight. It was a godsend when I was trying to play after braking my right shoulder.  

The same goes for sitting down with it. It just tucks itself in nicely into my right arm when sat on the computer doing some recording. It's thin enough not to get in the way of me typing and using my scrollwheel and of course when playing access to the top of the neck is insanely good.

It does appear that perhaps more thought went into its design than just the visual esthetic (which l originally thought).
If you have never picked up a Firebird and played it, then you IMHO are missing a treat.

Any other Firebird admirers on here?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EggmanEggman Frets: 43
    Never had one but I think they look and sound really cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I find them really comfortable too, and I feel the same about Explorers. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My Firebird studio is my favourite guitar that I've ever owned.

It sounds like an SG on steroids and the feeling I get playing it is like nothing else I've played. It's a very inspiring guitar.
    It's totally become #1 favourite among the others it hangs on the wall with. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
    Big fan of the non-reverse and intend to add a reverse body to the collection too (as soon as I can afford the spare cash). I think they are hugely underrated guitars. Great pickups for me (even these modern ones) and love the neck!
  • Love em but I’ve got short arms :)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    Are they really? One guitar I’ve never given a good shot. I guess I’m not sold on the looks and the one time I played one I felt the neck profile was a bit flat or something. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    Are they really? One guitar I’ve never given a good shot. I guess I’m not sold on the looks and the one time I played one I felt the neck profile was a bit flat or something. 
    I don't know about the more recent models with the upside down tuners, but if you get a chance to try one with the Steinberger tuners then definitely try one out. :)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    Eggman said:
    Never had one but I think they look and sound really cool.
    Have a wiz coz you are so right! :)
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I’ve always fancied one but fear the sheer size on my 5’9” frame? I’m used to MusicMan & PRS so expect I’d look like I was wearing an oar. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    edited January 2019
    I genuinely assumed the thread title was a joke .

I love the look and sound but I can't play them properly - far too long and too far to the left, and unbalanced unless they have the Steinberger tuners. (I'm 5'6".)

On the other hand @AuldReekie has just bought one - he's not that much taller than me and he seems to find it comfortable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Loved my old f'bird , swapped out the oe pickups & fitted some mini humbuckers from my old les paul deluxe & fitted a vibrola, as per Johnny Winter, the only downside was the case took up more space in the van than the bass players, eventually p/exed it for a les paul pro deluxe, but i did keep the mini humbuckers, somewhere out there is a cherry red Firebird with a vibrola attached. From memory there was an issue with std pickups at the time which I think were bar pole pieces under the plain cover & not quite long enough to get a good signal from the high E string, the guitar was an early 90's Series V reissue in Cherry.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I'm 6'3" so maybe that's why I find them comfortable. It's still a jolt after a Les Paul though, it can feel like you're playing a surf board for the first few minutes.

http://i68.tinypic.com/1y7dzs.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love Firebirds, never played a bad one but I’m inclined to bang the headstocks on things. The one strange shaped Gibson I do have problems with is the Flying V, love the look but find them unwieldy 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

@Telemaster I had an '06 that had a slimmish 60s profile, wasn't my favourite feel either.

I like Firebirds, love the shape and the feel, the upper fret access, minibuckers etc. I like the modern/hotter ones, actually prefer the extra meat they have over trad-style ones.

Two here plus resting on a block of cedrela that's probably a Firebird, it just doesn't know it yet. Although it's so very light, it should really be on something else

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/misc/twobirds.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    I like the sound of the small Firebird humbuckers but have never been entirely comfortable with the ergonomics of the body shape and vulnerable headstock. Consequently, I have Firebird style pickups in a single cutaway, set neck guitar. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I like the ergonomics, they work for me. I have had a couple, and the last one I had, had very disappointing sustain, I tried everything but was dead around the 12th fret forward.. 
  • I like the sound of the small Firebird humbuckers but have never been entirely comfortable with the ergonomics of the body shape and vulnerable headstock. Consequently, I have Firebird style pickups in a single cutaway, set neck guitar. 
    Those small Humbuckers sound great. The old non-reverse Firebirds with P90s can sound really nice too .
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    p90fool said:
    I find them really comfortable too, and I feel the same about Explorers. 

Amen to that. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Not just for tall people!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom