Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

335 style semis-Epiphone, Gretsch or other?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4703
    Remember to be careful swapping Epi bridges as they are, sometimes, quite odd sizes.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    I’ve had a Epiphone dot and a Epiphone Sheraton before I bought my 335. Would definitely go with the Sheraton over the dot. Firstly it was a lot better made and wasn’t a million miles away from my Gibson. There are some great secondhand Sheraton’s about.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited January 2019
    markj said:
    I’ve had a Epiphone dot and a Epiphone Sheraton before I bought my 335. Would definitely go with the Sheraton over the dot. Firstly it was a lot better made and wasn’t a million miles away from my Gibson. There are some great secondhand Sheraton’s about.
    I'd agree with that - to be fair my Dot (£200) was excellent and, like the Sheratons, Samick-built, but for the extra £150-ish, the Sheraton was better. I've had a few Gibson 335's, and I would agree that the Sheratons ran them close. 
    Call me Dave.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

+1 for Sheratons, I've owned one for years and absolutely love it.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    TheMarlin said:
    Tokai if you can find one for the money.
    It just so happens ....

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    markj said:
    I just can't get along with Sheratons. I've had two - a late 80's one and a late 90's one- and I found the necks to be too thick and too easy to push the bottom string off the edge of the fretboard for some reason. Also overly heavy. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Philtre said:
    @Fretwired Which Tone Pros bridge did you get? And was it worth it?
    I'll have to look it up but I think it was a vintage locking AVR - massive improvement. Easier to restring, better tuning stability and intonation and improved tone. I had a brass nut added as well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7881
    dogload said:
    markj said:
    I just can't get along with Sheratons. I've had two - a late 80's one and a late 90's one- and I found the necks to be too thick and too easy to push the bottom string off the edge of the fretboard for some reason. Also overly heavy. 

I had a Sheraton with ‘Epiphone by Gibson’ inlayed into its very ornate headstock. 

Build wuality waa ok, has issues. Sounded crap. Pretty much hated it.  A friend has an Epi Dot from the same era, much nicer guitar. Less blingy, but better in the hands. 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited January 2019
    The 2019 Ibanez sound pretty tasty
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Are you 100% decided on a 335 style guitar?

I like 335s. I also think it it possible to buy a really good guitar for £350. (second hand).
    But if I was buying a great guitar today (for £350) i would be looking at a Telecaster style guitar or a stripped down singlecut style guitar.

• Harley Benton semi acoustics are worth a look . They sell a 335ish guitar for under £200, I think it’s called an HB35. I bought one and was very impressed with the quality for such a low price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    edited January 2019
    I've owned a gretsch g2622t. Should have kept it, was great. If you're interested in them have a read through the streamliner section: http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forums/streamliner-gretsch-forum/

You will find plenty of proline owners commenting on how they also hold these in high regard. Various mods mentioned.

I was going to swap the tuners for locking ones, and the B70 for a B7. Would have been nice to do that.
  • I'd recommend looking at a used Hohner SE35 or HS35...... brilliant 335-type made in the 90s in the Samick factory, afaik. I've had one for years..... it's not going anywhere. A couple of mates have them too and they feel the same. One of them actually has two.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well boys, many thanks for all the advice. After much consideration I decided on a new Epiphone ES-335 Pro, but couldn’t get one locally and was looking at buying from Anderton’s. Then to my surprise a Hofner Verythin on Ebay that I was watching received no other bids at £300, so I nabbed it. Picked it up today and I’m delighted with it. Never expected to get one of these as they are well over my budget new. Struggling to put it down at the moment. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    Harley Benton semi acoustics are worth a look . They sell a 335ish guitar for under £200, I think it’s called an HB35. I bought one and was very impressed with the quality for such a low price.
    Realise op has bought one but just wanted to agree with this I bought an e35 for 100 and put sd vintage blues and Gibson tuners on. 

I have been thinking about a bigsby and tried a £700 gretsch. It felt and sounded no better at all. 
  • theonemanbandtheonemanband Frets: 14
    edited February 2019
    Sorry, late to the party, but...........Guild Starfire......if you can find one at your price point. Superb intruments, thoroughly recommended.
    Only my opinion of course!
  • Gerz6558 said:
    I've owned a gretsch g2622t. Should have kept it, was great. If you're interested in them have a read through the streamliner section: http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forums/streamliner-gretsch-forum/

You will find plenty of proline owners commenting on how they also hold these in high regard. Various mods mentioned.

I was going to swap the tuners for locking ones, and the B70 for a B7. Would have been nice to do that.
    This is true 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Kalimna said:
    Id be interested to know who advised against an Epiphone Dot. They really seem to be widely regarded as amongst the best value guitars in their price range, punching well above their weight. Perhaps there was confusion with the Dot Studio?
    Either way, dont dismiss them until you have played one.

Good hunting 
    Adam
    this ^^^^^^the dots are amazing