NGD x 2 - He's got the Jag

What's Hot
antonyivantonyiv Frets: 302

Last year I bought and sold only one guitar.  This year I really wanted to get out of my comfort zone (singlecuts) and try different things.

So here they are:

Gibson SG Standard Limited 

Pros:

- The most comfortable Gibson I've ever played - really good ergonomics
- Great access to upper frets
- This one is an exception - it doesn't have a neck dive and is very balanced on a strap
- Very lightweight guitar
- Good, classic Gibson sounds

Cons:

- After 2 years of playing PRS guitars I got spoiled... to be honest, the PRS McCarty that I recently sold was better built
- Neck feels a bit odd, kinda longer. When I want to play in A, it turns that I play in B. Can't really explain why
- The body is very thin and feels odd. I kinda feel like playing a Guitar Hero guitar 

Is it going to stay? Not sure, I put it on Reverb to test the waters. 

----

Fender 50th Anniversary Jaguar

Pros:

- Lovely looks - this guitar is so beautiful 
- Great ergonomics
- Ease of playing - so far this seems to be the most comfortable neck that I've ever played. Stretch your fingers from root to 5th interval: no big deal. Bending is super easy. 
- The control plates are awesome and work great for me. It's not that difficult to get used it.
- I'm sorry, but bound neck with block inlays look AWESOME on a Fender guitar
- Seems to be very versatile instrument - I was able to get jazz, blues, rock and funk sounds out of it

Cons:

- I can't really believe that today they built guitars with no access to the truss rod...Had to remove the neck, tight the truss rod and then put the neck back on. As you can guess, I had to to this several times and even now the set up is not that good but I'm kinda lazy to do the same thing again
- The saddles make the strings uneven - guess I gonna have something like Mastery

Is it going to stay? Yes, I think so. It needs a good set up and some more time but I really dig that guitar. 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 327
    I got a Jag to try out and was so impressed with it. The look, the characteristic sound it has and most of all, playability. The guitar plays so easily, wants such low action and just stays in tune no matter how much I whammy. It's my cheapest guitar, but one that fit me so well, it#s the one I know I'll never sell because it's rare you get guitars that fit you so well, and no 2 guitars are the same so I'd rather have that MIJ than a vintage one. Don't read reviews on Jaguars vs other guitars, they always lose, trust your ears and fingers. My Jag is so comfortable, it's like my 11th finger. Plus, you can do interesting chords due to the short scale. Love my Jaguar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Nothing else makes the Jaguar sound. Mastery or Staytrem upgrades definitely improve the day-to-day playing experience. (Just make certain to order the correct radius to match your guitar’s fingerboard.) Final tip - use big strings.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Great colour on that Jaguar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Great colour on that Jaguar.

Burgundy Mist. Superb, one of my favourite Fender colours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GlooperGlooper Frets: 5
    edited January 2019
    Lovely Jag, I’ve been looking for a 50th Anniversary one for a while, they are thin on the ground. Where did you fine it?  Agree with you on the B&B necks, look great
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 302
    Glooper said:
    Lovely Jag, I’ve been looking for a 50th Anniversary one for a while, they are thin on the ground. Where did you fine it?  Agree with you on the B&B necks, look great
    Got it from eBay, which is odd, because I almost never visit it. 

Very lucky with that one - it's in absolute new condition, no mark on it and even has the plastics on the pickguard.