Bands you have yet explore back catalogue

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• zepp76 said:
    pigface said:
    zepp76 said:
    Creedence Clearwater Revival, I've only heard a couple of their songs but that was enough to colour me intrigued. What albums of theirs would the good people of the fretboard recommend I start with? Anything I should avoid?
    Cosmo's Factory is their best album IMO.

@pigface Thank you, I'll check that out.
    Yes, Cosmo's Factory.  Also have a listen to Green River.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    @Philly_Q  yes, Permanent waves is right up there for me, Spirit of Radio was my introduction to Rush. I much prefer it to Moving pictures
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418
    Trout Mask Replica is an amazing album. To me it kind of makes everything else Beefheart did sound watered-down by comparison -- it's like the motherlode of Beefheart-ness. Andy Partridge once described it as being one of the few rock records that would be recognised as a work of art by actual artists and I think that's probably a good way of looking at it.

Mind you it'd still be better off without the Hair Pie tracks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    Van Halen
    I heard the first album back in 1978, and saw them supporting Sabbath around then too.  The gig was incredible and the album is still a favourite.  I'm not sure why I've never listened to any of their other albums.  (I've heard the singles like "Jump" and "Panama" of course.)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Stuckfast said:
    Trout Mask Replica is an amazing album. To me it kind of makes everything else Beefheart did sound watered-down by comparison -- it's like the motherlode of Beefheart-ness. Andy Partridge once described it as being one of the few rock records that would be recognised as a work of art by actual artists and I think that's probably a good way of looking at it.

Mind you it'd still be better off without the Hair Pie tracks.

TMR is excellent and his pinnacle, but I do like a lot of his other stuff (apart from the two Tragic Band albums). I'd put "Lick my decals..." up there as well and maybe "Doc...". I wouldn't say his other stuff is really in the same vein or a really waterdown versions of TMR. Spotlight Kid is a much underated album and follows more of his early blues influences (particularly Howlin Wolf) rather than the free form jazz angle. Some amazing vocals and great lyrics on there ( such as Grow Fins).