Strat wiring mods, assistance please

munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
edited January 2019 in Making & Modding
Before buying some new pickups I thought I'd have a go at 50's wiring and changing the 2nd tone to the bridge.  Haven't opened it up yet so assuming its wired as it originally was what wires do I need to add/remove/move?

Assistance as usual gratefully received!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    edited January 2019
    Like this:

And also connect the unused terminal between the red and green wires to the next one with the black wire the other side of the red wire (tone on both middle and bridge) or simply move the black wire to the unused terminal (tone on bridge only).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    Thanks @ICBM ;  opened it up and realised it had a rubbish switch which doesn't match the diagram, I think I will wait and change the switch and wiring when i change pickups.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    I've tried 50's wiring in a strat and it just didn't sound right to me. I much prefer a treble bypass cap and resistor.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    Lebarque said:
    I've tried 50's wiring in a strat and it just didn't sound right to me. I much prefer a treble bypass cap and resistor.
    Same here.

It's also worth remembering that real 50s Strats were wired the normal way, with the tone controls on the pickup side of the volume control... and they sound quite good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    munckee said:
    opened it up and realised it had a rubbish switch ...
    Makes me wonder how "rubbish" the other control components might be? On what make/model are you working?

munckee said:
    ... which doesn't match the diagram
    ICBM has (very wisely) posted a schematic diagram for a CRL switch.

It is simple enough to translate the diagram for the eight-contacts-in-a-line PCB switches but the cheap ones do not stay reliable for very long. 

ICBM said:
    It's also worth remembering that real 50s Strats were wired the normal way, with the tone controls on the pickup side of the volume control... and they sound quite good.
    Master of understatement.  =)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12371
    edited January 2019
    munckee said:
    opened it up and realised it had a rubbish switch ...
    Makes me wonder how "rubbish" the other control components might be? On what make/model are you working?

munckee said:
    ... which doesn't match the diagram
    ICBM has (very wisely) posted a schematic diagram for a CRL switch.

It is simple enough to translate the diagram for the eight-contacts-in-a-line PCB switches but the cheap ones do not stay reliable for very long. 

ICBM said:
    Master of understatement. 
    Its an 86 MIJ Fender, the previous owner changed the pots but appears to have left everything else stock.  I think I will gut it later this year and get all new electrics and pick ups.