Fender Antigua

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Anyone else love this finish? I really like the look of it but think it might be a bit Marmite.

More importantly, any good pics?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    I remember being captivated by them in the late 70s.......thought they were the bees-knees
    Now when I look at them I get that 80s Rag-rolling feeling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    A friend of mine has a ‘78 Antigua Strat he may be thinking of selling...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14370
    tFB Trader
    certainly distinctive and yes somewhat of a Marmite discussion point

I refer to them as mushroom sunburst

Maybe part of the issue with the Antigua finish is they are found on so many late 70's Fenders, as that era is not exactly seen as the finest time for the company
  • I kinda like them but for some reason they make me want to eat McDonalds. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    edited January 2019
    I kinda like them but for some reason they make me want to eat McDonalds. 
    I'll be honest, I think they look like what can happen *after* you've eaten too much McDonalds...

I refer to them as mushroom sunburst
    Or more commonly known as 'vomit burst'...

Vile, at least on solidbodies. It looks OK on the Coronados it was originally created for - to cover the burn marks left by routing the binding channels because CBS/Fender didn't use the correct feed-to-speed ratio for their tooling, yes really! - but that's because they have a quirky German-semi-acoustic vibe to them anyway. I still probably wouldn't choose one on purpose though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7933
    edited January 2019
    I quite like them, in an ugly-beautiful kind of
    way. I used have a CIJ Fender Antigua strat.  Was a quality feeling guitar, but sold it on. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    When I first had a bass I had an audition of sorts and the guitarist had a strat in antigua. I'm pretty sure I'd never seen one before ( possibly never seen a Fender that close up before) and he seemed like a cool guy. So, I like it although I appreciate few do.

Not long ago a shop was advertising a complete set of antigua Fenders ( strat, tele, jazz , precision, maybe a jazz - not quite sure) for some silly price. Not far from me so I thought I'd go have a look but they'd gone. So, someone else likes them ( and has more money than sense). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited January 2019
    Reminds me of when you used to make paper look aged in primary school by burning the edges and brushing tea or coffee on it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
    I wonder why they're called Antigua?  To me the name conjures up bright colours, party time, turquoise azures, limes, vibrant palm tree greens etc.  Not a dreary foggy morning in an English provincial town.  I saw a Tele in cash converters about 5 years ago (£600 I think) and nearly bought because I thought it would be nice to have a US Tele.  
  • I think the Novo ones look amazing

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    edited January 2019
    I loves em.............a 70s re issue on the bay at the moment giving me jitters
    I think the Novo ones look amazing
    Apart from the guitar, yes :).

The colour is much nicer than the Fender version.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    There's a nice one on eBay at the moment.  One of those Japanese sellers so it's probably not really in stock...

I like the look, but I've always wondered how they make the scratchplate - is it just painted and if so does the paint flake off?

Philly_Q said:

I like the look, but I've always wondered how they make the scratchplate - is it just painted and if so does the paint flake off?
    Yes and yes.

I very briefly owned - it was a passing-through deal really - a '79 with what appeared to be an *original* black pickguard, that didn't look like it had been stripped. The serial number stickers on the guard and the body did match, so it was the right one. From what I've read somewhere the very last were shipped like that after they ran out of the painted guards before the bodies, so it may have been genuine. It looked much better than they normally do but weighed about as much as Ailsa Craig, and had the same sort of resonance.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23083
    ICBM said:
    It looked much better than they normally do but weighed about as much as Ailsa Craig, and had the same sort of resonance.
    I thought who's she, it's not at all like @ICBM to make such a harsh comment about a woman.

Now I see. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Might be a daft question, but why did they name it an "Antigua Finish"? Antigua is an Island in the Caribbean, isn't it?

#confused  B)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1960
    Best finish Fender does IMO
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    literally makes my skin crawl every time...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

#confused  B)
    Too many Camberwell carrots. B)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 233
    I had one of the originals, a maple board strat from the 70s.
    It took three people to lift it and sounded like a wardrobe.
    I'm afraid I can't get rid of that connotation.