New owners for Hiwatt?

rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
Not sure if this has been posted already but I've heard that Hiwatt have new owners. Apparently they are working on a new amp with Mike Fortin that can do high gain as well as clean, could be interesting....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    They joined up here a wee while back...http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/125590/hiwatt. ;    
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Aha ok, I missed that so thanks for pointing it out. I haven't seen much of a presence though on the high street but perhaps that will come soon.
  • rawk100 said:
    Aha ok, I missed that so thanks for pointing it out. I haven't seen much of a presence though on the high street but perhaps that will come soon.
    there are places that stock them but the pricing is a bit arse clenching. 
    Its a shame because they are wonderful amps, my favourite in fact. 
    I'd say look used but even the pricing there has gone a bit bananas
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Is the quality still the same as it used to be - vintage era, not like a few years back (bad rep etc)? FWIW, I dunno what I'm talking about, I just remember some bad blood.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Is the quality still the same as it used to be - vintage era, not like a few years back (bad rep etc)? FWIW, I dunno what I'm talking about, I just remember some bad blood.
    The Harrison stuff is great. Despite the feeling towards them the hand wired custom stuff is top notch. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Harrison? Are they the new owners?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Harrison? Are they the new owners?
    No the Harrisons were the old owners.

I've read up a bit more and it seems that the new owners acquired Hiwatt over a year ago although it looks like they have been sorting things out with regard to the global trademark. A high gain/metal head has been developed (Super Hi 50) and is being made in hardwired form in England along with the DR103 (very expensive mind you). Looks like the cheaper Chinese tube amps are still being made along with the solid state amps. 

I've no idea how reliable they are as I've never owned one (yet) but I hope the new owners make a success of it.
  • Hiwatts, well the hand wired stuff is very reliable and they are built to withstand punishment