Boss GT1000 and Katana

andyozandyoz Frets: 718
edited January 2019 in Amps
Now that Boss has got a good few players using their Tone Studio software, I wonder if they're planning to release a super combo with the GT1000 brains and a Katana Artist (or Newtone) type amp, cabinet, speaker.

I'd actually be up for a Newtone type format filled with the best FX Boss can offer.

ToneStudio is well written and for many it will be their first exposure to this type of thing. That familiarity is a huge marketing bonus.

I think Boss are playing a blinder ATM.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    Nothing announced for this year yet, saving it for NAMM I suspect.  Nextone seems to have been a failure to date.

I'd put money on a "Katana Artist Nextone" at some point, with Katana gubbins and the Nextone multiple power amps.

Problem would be cost, they would have to retail for £699 or so which is silly money given a Katana 50 is 90% of it for < £200

Same issue with sticking the GT1000 and a Nextone together, would have to retail for about the same as the two seperately and contrary to what TFB would make you believe, very, very few amateur players (the market for Katana, lets face it) would drop £1300 on an amp, let alone a mass produced digital job!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2019
    Yes, I know what you mean. I really like the concept of the Nextone but would want more FX onboard and to feel it's got the best FX  Boss can do. But that means it would be too pricey otherwise they hurt sales of the DD500 range etc.

I guess the market of Nextone is for ones using outboard FX stuff like chorus.

It's a shame as you can tell Boss have all the tech in place to make a killer all in one Solid State combo but economics means it won't happen

Katana has made me lazy and I'd drop £1000+ on a killer unit but most wouldn't I guess
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    I'd pay quite a bit for that too - I hope they do something new with the Bass Cube.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    andyoz said:
    Katana has made me lazy and I'd drop £1000+ on a killer unit but most wouldn't I guess
    But it's already a killer unit for < £200 ;)

The Katana Head is probably the most versatile piece of gear, ever, really.  It's £350!

Sometimes, the best product already exists for very reasonable money!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2019
    andyoz said:
    But it's already a killer unit for < £200

The Katana Head is probably the most versatile piece of gear, ever, really.  It's £350!

Sometimes, the best product already exists for very reasonable money!
    Yes, I have the Katana head and it's great.  I just think from what I've heard the Nextone seems to nail the crunch better but then they've severely reduced the FX on board.  I really like having onboard Chorus and boosters.

The one thing that would be nice in a 'premium' unit is integration of those stealth OLED displays for the dials...the type that when they are off you can't even tell the displays there but when you activate them you just get a nice high contrast bit of simple text naming the FX etc assigned to the dial. 

The tech's coming where there could be a black 'band' along the top of the controls that basically disappears when not in use.  I sometimes still get lost with Katana and need a reminder of what's assigned to the dials...one thing they have to avoid is making it look like it's a multi coloured 'computer' display as there's a load of players that just don't want that.