Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Modern high gain amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• I've only ever played through the 6L6 ones personally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks mate :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4914
    Shame you're in Bridgend, there's a lovely 100w 5153 for sale in the classifieds in Darlington.... Damn it

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• Ha, I did spot that, great price too! Still trying to decide what's for me though, so not quite there yet.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4914
    Cool, no worries enjoy the search. The 100w luckily doesn't have the volume issues of the earlier 50w ones, if you decide on a 5153 then there is potential to get it organised! All the best

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• Boromedic said:
    Cool, no worries enjoy the search. The 100w luckily doesn't have the volume issues of the earlier 50w ones, if you decide on a 5153 then there is potential to get it organised! All the best
    It’s only an issue at low volumes. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 342
    VHT/Fryette Pitbull Ultra Lead all day long.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 6505+ does high gain on tap.
  • Boromedic said:
    Liesssss

Bye!

• Prs Archon - more refined less flubby Dual Rec but more marshally/ soldano ish very thick warm sounding amp
    Mesa Jp-2C - sick amp brutal very tight modern metal sound or Mark V if you want more options
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33857
    Does anyone rate the Laney Iron Heart 120W?
    I can get one here quite cheap- about £240.
  • octatonic said:
    Very dry high gain sound. Clean sound is very clean.

It is functional for the tones it’s aimed at but I don’t feel it sounds on par with a 5150/Dual Rec etc. IIRC you’re used to much higher end amps, do unless you specifically want something dry and tight sounding I’m not sure if you’d like it.

That saying it’s a lot of amp for £240
    Right- so sort of Engl-ish then?

(Lol, predictive text keeps trying to change it to 'English'.)
  • octatonic said:
    I didn't rate the one I had to be honest. Even though it was high-gain it seemed constantly 'under gained' sounding to me. Not thick and juicy like you'd expect. But also not tight and refined like a Fryette for instance. It was a very weird amp, and I couldn't get along with it.

I don't know if mine was broken or not. The shop said it looked fine and they couldn't find any issues with it. But it was nothing compared to the VH100R imho - which you could probably get cheaper!

Bye!

Right- I knew it was too good to be true. :)

Thanks both.
  • I used to have a 60W Ironheart. It was a really good versatile amp. But yes there was something lacking in the highest gain sounds. It was a little too restrained, a little bold in the mids, almost too well behaved. 

As a heavy rock amp it was fantastic, but it didn't get all the way to full bore modern metal tones without pushing with a pedal. 

• octatonic said:
    The other guitarist in the band I play with had one til it stopped working. He used it as a preamp for a digital modelling amp and it sounded pretty good. On its own though its a bit thin, I find anyway.
  • I used to have a 60W Ironheart. It was a really good versatile amp. But yes there was something lacking in the highest gain sounds. It was a little too restrained, a little bold in the mids, almost too well behaved. 

As a heavy rock amp it was fantastic, but it didn't get all the way to full bore modern metal tones without pushing with a pedal. 
    I wouldn't say it's fantastic, myself - I've tried the 60W and the 15W, and they just sounded...generic. Not terrible by any stretch, but there was no character to it; it basically sounds like all those cookie-cutter over-sanitised distorted tones that you hear on "meh" records.
    <space for hire>
  • Boromedic said:
    Liesssss
    You just never had the cajones to turn it up you cuck. 

I wouldn't say it's fantastic, myself - I've tried the 60W and the 15W, and they just sounded...generic. Not terrible by any stretch, but there was no character to it; it basically sounds like all those cookie-cutter over-sanitised distorted tones that you hear on "meh" records.
    The only time I’ve heard one sound great was in the hands of Matthias IA Eklundh, and well all bets are off with him. 

I tried one in the shop the 2x12 60w combo and found it a bit meh, ended up getting the JSX instead.