Marshall bluesbreaker speakers

What's Hot
billandobillando Frets: 32
I have a bluesbreaker reissue which I attenuate slightly for gigs. With the original g12m25 speakers it tends to flub out when cranked and I find can get a bit lost in my band mix. What speakers if any would you recommend. I have lots I can steal from other amps. G12h30 (1970s), g1265, v30s, g12t75, alnico blue reissues....think that's it. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    A lot of these old Marshalls have tons of low end at higher volume levels. Have you tried lowering the bass knob to zero and cranking the middle and treble?

The G12H30s have a tighter low end and an overall more aggressive sound (more 70s). I like the G12M20-Heritage speakers best with old Marshalls, they are a little less efficient than your G12M25's. Alnico Blue's are very cool with Marshalls, they have a more open sound with more lows and highs but I am not sure whether they can cope with the 30+ watts of your amp. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    Are you sure it's the speakers? If you're attenuating slightly, even by only 3dB, then the speakers are not seeing more than about 15W, which won't be pushing two 25W speakers (50W pair) very hard.

Of those the speakers with the tightest bottom-end are the G12-65s or the V30s, but both may be a bit too dark in that amp. I wouldn't risk Alnico Blues in it either, Marshall stopped using them back in the 60s (actually the grey no-cover version, but the same speaker really) because they blew too many.

If you need to tighten up the sound of the amp rather than the speakers, try a solid-state rectifier - a plain diode one, not one with a resistor to emulate a valve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to experiment and see where it gets me. As I said I will be attenuating slightly so don't be hitting the speakers with full volume. The alnico golds be good option?