Charvel Model 4 trem upgrade advice needed

Hi all!

I have an old Charvel Model 4 which I've owned since a teen. The JT6 trem served me well back in the day, but has now had it. It never stays in tune and so I don't play it any more, which is a shame. I think a replacement bridge is the main thing to bring it back to life, but I'm rubbish with tools so need something which will drop straight in. I've tried to do some research on this, but the info on the net seems a bit conflicting and I don't want to shell out £200 to find it's a few mil out and doesn't work. I was mainly looking at an Original Floyd Rose (which some say fits okay if you use your original posts) or a Gotoh GE1996T. I really need to replace the trem posts in the Charvel but don't want to mess with the anchors if I can help it. Has anybody here replaced their JT6 Model 4 trem with no extra modding? Also does anybody know if a Floyd Rose big Brass block fits on a Gotoh, or if the holes don't line up (as I already have one of these spare).

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14570
    Leiversalone said:
    Charvel ... JT6 trem ... need something which will drop straight in. 
    I presume that you have already read this article? The Charvel inserts are wider than most. Their thread pitch is incompatible with all common replacement pivot studs. 

I did once persuade a Korean licensed single-locking FR clone onto Jackson/Charvel pivot posts. 

Leiversalone said:
    I really need to replace the trem posts in the Charvel but don't want to mess with the anchors if I can help it.
    IMO, a thorough job involves extracting the original inserts, plugging the holes with dowel then, redrilling to the correct diameter and spacing. 

My best advice to you is to contact somebody who does this kind of work for a living.  @FelineGuitars @SteveRobinson et cetera.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @funkfingers Thanks for that. That was one article that had eluded me! Bummer about the incompatible inserts, but that at least makes sense. I shall hold off buying a replacement until I can sort out a plan of action regarding someone helping fit a new one, although obviously that will mean more pennies. Unless I buy a replacement and just hope the old original posts hold up . . .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72580
    You should be able to re-use the studs, unless they’re hopelessly chewed up or corroded. You can clean up the grooves with a file if necessary, as long as you’re careful to keep turning the post so it doesn’t go out of round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I shall hold off buying a replacement until I can sort out a plan of action regarding someone helping fit a new one
    How knackered is your JT-6 bridge? Could it be refurbished with a few original parts?
  • The threads are all worn out from years of changing strings, and it's quite rusty from years of sweaty gigs when I was a youngster. I think it really needs a new one. That said I hardly use the trem these days and all my other guitars are hardtails or blocked off, so even though the studs are old, they wouldn't have to put up with much abuse if I keep them and just drop the new trem in. I think this is what I'll try. There's a second hand Gotoh bridge I can get, but it has the wrong length block on it (too short). I have a 42 brass OFR upgrade block but still not sure whether this will screw on to the bottom of a Gotoh, so may have to wait for an actual Floyd.
    Dimension-wise, the JT-6 is a law unto itself. 

The screws that fasten the sustain block are spaced differently from pretty much EVERY other licensed FR vibrato out there. The fine tuners are a convoluted concentric arrangement and, hence, of greater diameter than anything else. 

I have a collection of JT-6 vibrato leftovers. If/when you upgrade to a Gotoh, I would be interested in acquiring your old JT-6.