Under saddle pickups. Do they affect the sound..

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
Wondering if the fitting of under saddle pickups change or alter the sound of a guitar. Compared to the same model without under saddle pickups.

I a travelling with a friend to look at (and try out/buy one) acoustic guitars tomorrow, this is something I would like to know. My friend prefers to strum chords with his thumb rather than with a plectrum if that info helps. Me, I don't like the feel of flesh against guitar strings. Bass is the opposite for me.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't think it affects the sound when unplugged.  I've got 3 guitars right now that have them and often play them unplugged with no noticeable degradation.  They sound great plugged in for live situations but not so much for recording, using a mic still works best for recording.  I go between using a pick and fingerpicking, two of these are nylon string and one is steel.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Rocker said:
    Wondering if the fitting of under saddle pickups change or alter the sound of a guitar. Compared to the same model without under saddle pickups.
    I would argue that it can. The density of the bridge and transducer materials are different. There is another boundary between the vibrating strings and the soundboard. An opportunity for losses to creep in.

In the fifteen years since I acquired a pre-owned Martin DM, I have installed a succession of soundhole pickups (with or without condenser mic), undersaddle transducers and a combined UST and PZM system. Last year, I ditched the UST, went fully PZM and fitted a new saddle. I prefer the sound of this guitar this way. I wish that I had never messed with the bridge.

Rocker said:
    look at, try out and buy acoustic guitars 
    If you need a UST, only try guitars that already have one fitted. This way, there will be no modifications and, hence, no possibility of the sound of the guitar changing.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5260
    not sure it makes a HUGE difference but UST are generally a quite artificial sounding pickup so I would avoid them at all costs on that basis alone...I wpould always buy a guitar I loved the acoustic sound of then retro fit something like a K & K mini 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    mgaw said:
    I would always buy a guitar I loved the acoustic sound of then retro fit something like a K & K mini 
    This is what I have done, except that I chose a different brand.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    My experience when fitting a lot of them is that I think it can - but it’s not consistent. That’s when re-using the same strings - which I usually do if I can, although often I’m asked to do a full set-up, with new strings - but even then it’s hard to be certain, since there’s always about half an hour between before and after.

Whether it’s actually the presence of a piece of different material under the saddle or just that the fit between the saddle and the slot has been disturbed, I don’t know.

An internal contact transducer like the K&K definitely doesn’t as far as I’ve ever been able to tell - they don’t weigh enough to matter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein