Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How many guitar players on here are into classic motorcycles ? picture added

What's Hot
wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 259
edited January 2019 in Guitar
Putting a feeler out to see if there would be any interest on here should I decide to put my old Velocette 1960 500 sport up for sale & take a guitar in part payment. Hopefully I'm not the only wrinkley old fool still riding one of England's finest https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y1t6w22g2v41oqa/AABFhvqNdMxE_LDX7L1JypBZa?dl=0
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    Nice bike! Pics?

I'm more a BSA guy, because that's my Dad was into. He used to race Gold Stars.

Looking forward to pics. :)

R.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I'd love it but I've got a Norton Commando and a Guzzi Monza that I can no longer ride.
  • Sassafras said:
    I'd love it but I've got a Norton Commando and a Guzzi Monza that I can no longer ride.
    lucky bastard. I sold mine but at least it went to a good home. If I wasn't way too fat for my leathers (and too old and rickety to heave it onto its centre stand) I'd be tempted to have another
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I’ve got a 1967 Lambretta SX - does that count?
    We are all Chameleons...
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Classic Bike Show at Shepton Mallet first weekend in Feb.  
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    The famous Rockerbox is near me. Bear them in mind for parts resources and knowledge base...

www.rockerbox.co.uk

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I’ve got a 1967 Lambretta SX - does that count?
    Mod, eh? See you down on Brighton front for a rumble next Bank Holiday!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I used to have a 1960 pre unit BSA 650 Super Rocket 95% original. Sold it when I got married. What a twat!!!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    I don't have any room left, the other garage is rammed too!

http://i67.tinypic.com/2ylrblc.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    I have a couple of GS Suzukis, a 79 750/1000 hybrid and a1980 GS1000S, currently in restoration.
    It's the guitar player bit I'm less sure of these days! 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    My old man is on his third vello rebuild from all the parts he has horded over the years. 
    He's fairly well known in the classic bike scene. Does magnito repairs, and has done articles for fish-tail mag.
  • I haven't been through my 'bike phase' that I reckon most blokes of my generation get to go through during their lives....not yet anyway.
    But I can appreciate the aesthetics and engineering skills that produce a good or even great bike. I've enjoyed watching a TV series called Twist The Throttle that tell the history of bike dynasties. The missus won't let me get a decent guitar yet alone a bike.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Used to own a number of British bikes as a Yoof.
    Always fancied a 70's Meriden built Triumph Trident, but I reckon if I tried one it wouldn't live up to the dream.
    Will stick with the rose coloured specs for now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392 said:
    Used to own a number of British bikes as a Yoof.
    Always fancied a 70's Meriden built Triumph Trident, but I reckon if I tried one it wouldn't live up to the dream.
    Will stick with the rose coloured specs for now.
    The BSA Triple's canted forward engine was IMO a bit prettier than the Triumph
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My main set of wheels was always a bike between 1990 and 2005. I had cars as well but not always. I've restored and repaired many japanese air cooled (now) classics from the 70's and 80's and the whole thing culminated in owning a workshop, a Harley Davidson '79 Shovel Head chopper and then a brand new '02 Dyna Wide Glide.

I was young and had money then, now I have neither so i can't see me ever riding again but I'd love to. It was the main part of my identity when I was young and right into my 30's. I never wanted to sell it all and I loved working on them ...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Bet you noticed the difference massively between the twin cam and the shovel
    I went from a Pan head to an Evo in '87 .....just a different world.........and a lot less oil to clear up
  • Big 80s-90s fan

1998 R1
    97 Fireblade
    98 ZX9R
    90 GSXR 750
    86 GPZ1000R
    93 Virago

and a Honda Melody.......
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    I learned to ride on a BSA Bantam D7 field bike. Then did some schoolboy motocross on a Yamaha YZ80 and a Suzuki RM100.

I had a Yamaha FS-1M at 16, and a Honda CB125 at 17, until I passed my car test.

I didn't ride a bike again until I took my bike test in 1996, specifically before the new rules came into effect.

I rode my Dad's BSA A7 twin a couple of times, and his Suzuki GSX1100E occasionally, but it wasn't until 2016, when I bought my first road bike - a Husqvarna Nuda 900R.

My Dad, meanwhile, has rebuilt several BSA Gold Stars, and raced until he was 70.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Dominic said:
    Bet you noticed the difference massively between the twin cam and the shovel
    I went from a Pan head to an Evo in '87 .....just a different world.........and a lot less oil to clear up
    The Shovel was a kickstart only and a 4 speed Andrews chain drive gearbox in a straight-leg, panhead rigid frame (Paughco I *think*). I had it twin plugged and fully rebuilt into replacement S&S crankcases with uprated everything. It ended up being a work of art and every inch of the bike was the best it could be *but* it was still a Shovel and it needed a lot of living with. I even put Avon Speedmaster and Safety Mileage tyres on it and kept it's 70's feel wherever I could whilst trying to uprated and upgrade everything to the most modern parts and systems available. It was a HUGE amount of money to put into a bike but building and owning it were an adventure I will always remember. It was a world apart from the Dyna. That thing was like a Lancaster bomber with handlebars and faster than anyone ever gave it credit for. It never missed a beat, it was flawless from day 1 with 4miles on the clock to the last day with 6,000 miles. I remember almost every single one of them.

I love them both and miss the Dyna every day.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2969
    I was into ww2 despatch riders bikes for a while, my brother restored a matchless which we used to take over to Normandy for the D-Day ride outs:

Before -

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4825/46824249632_a1028b5df1_k.jpg

After -

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom