Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Telecaster Alternative

What's Hot
Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to a Fender custom shop tele? I've played a few CS teles and found the quality to be really good, however the price hike in recent years has got me looking for an alternative in the £2000 (max) category. Also, I'm not looking to buy used.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    K-Line Truxton?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    edited January 2019
    Hahn are very nice indeed bit more than budget though
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Try some of the cheaper Fenders - either the normal US factory, Mexican, or Japanese.

You might have to play 15 to find an outstanding one, but they do exist.  They also don't have all the fake aging, which is a bonus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    G&L are very nice guitars and a lot more reasonable since they got new distribution.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrokeGroke Frets: 3
    Reverend Trickshot?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Eternal guitars
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Charvel style 2
  • Reverend Gristlemaster would seem an obvious suggestion. 
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    I know you wouldn’t buy secondhand but I would pick this definitely:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/146048/fs-1979-tokai-te-85-telecaster#latest
  • Suhr Alt T Pro would be over budget new.  Maybe Suhr Classic T. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    make your own......MJT ,USCG neck ,Lollars or Bare Knuckle etc etc
    You can buy the best of every component, colour of choice and get a decent Luthier to put it together and set it up
    TELECASTERS AREN'T ROCKET SCIENCE........that's the beauty of them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited January 2019
    Mexican Classic Series Tele, “lacquer” version if that matters to you. They’re the best guitars Fender make outside the Custom Shop in my opinion.

You can buy one new for less than half your budget. It’s possible you might want to change the pickups, but that won’t cost more than a couple of hundred at most.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Burns make a fabulous Telecaster copy. 

http://www.burnsguitars.com/sonicburnsguitars.php
  • Shame you are not looking to buy used as I could be tempted to part with this 

http://www.42ndstreetguitars.co.uk/guitarsDetail.php?T5E-Blackguard-5

Mine is is the actual guitar used in the photos. Easily fender custom shop quality. Looking for £800.

Alternatively if you want a new one I would highly recommend Angela at 42nd Street as a builder.
  • crunchman said:
    Try some of the cheaper Fenders - either the normal US factory, Mexican, or Japanese.

You might have to play 15 to find an outstanding one, but they do exist.  They also don't have all the fake aging, which is a bonus.
    I’m inclined to agree. Telecasters are simple little things and shouldn’t cost a fortune. I have several, some expensive made by Fender USA others copies by various Far Eastern makers. My favourite is one I put together myself from parts, a swamp ash body, Allparts neck, Seymour Duncan and Alegree pickups, Wilkinson Kluson style machine heads and Fender bridge and control plate. Most of the parts were obtained via eBay and the whole guitar cost me less than £300. If I could only have one of my Telecasters the parts caster would be the one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Used Fender ‘52 Hotrod. Custom Shop quality at half the price imo. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Ive not played as many fancy guitars as a lot of the guys on here, but the best Tele I've played was a Bill Nash. Good look tracking a new one down to try in the UK though.  :/

https://www.nashguitars.com/tmodelgallery/
  • Bod1Bod1 Frets: 3
    Bravewood, they are wonderful, my tele is unreal
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    My MIM standard is one of the best tele's I've played (and quite a few other players have said similar about it) - I'd put it up against anything. Good set up and change the bridge pickup. 

Other than that I've played some very nice tokai's which stand up very well for not silly money and look the dogs too ;)

Or a Baja of course always worth a look - whatever you buy enjoy. Tele's are just great at sensible money so you want go far wrong :)
  • Why are you ruling out used?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.