MXR Green Day Dookie Pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I'm still not sure if I'm doing the right thing by ordering one...

I've got a few months to change my mind though. It's only the price that's nagging at me and I never just say "f**k it" and do something like this. So once isn't too bad. Maybe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyp said:
    I'm still not sure if I'm doing the right thing by ordering one...

I've got a few months to change my mind though. It's only the price that's nagging at me and I never just say "f**k it" and do something like this. So once isn't too bad. Maybe.

The way i see it is you have 2 options.

1-You do as your told, keep the pedal and hope you can dial in the sound you want.
    2-Buy yourself a vintage Les Paul Jr and a vintage Marshall tube head with a 4x12 cab!

Good luck with Mrs P on option 2!! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    I might be kidding myself, but when I saw the demos it looked to be able to do a lot more than just one sound from an album and I understood how I'd want to use it... I think. It's really just the money they're asking for it that's causing me this dilemma. It just feels extravagant, but I'm excited that I've ordered one. I'm secretly hoping either they all sell out and I've got one, or they drop the price to about £180 and I stop worrying.

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    No need to stress, if you don't like/bond/feel ok with it you can send it back, so you have some time to live with it, and if you still don't click with it send it back for a refund.
    Absolutely. I’m really looking forward to it arriving. Sometime in May...
    Just got an email update...

As soon as I saw it, I got excited thinking "that's it! It's here!"... but no. Late June now. I've been mulling over this more and more and am seriously considering whether I actually need this at that price level. I would really like a PedalPal FX 800 drive pedal, but they look equally expensive once taxes are added on... with the added kicker of coming from half a world away and not really being able to return it.

I might can this idea and see how close I can get to having the funds for a JCM Studio 20...

Jesus. This grew didn't it?!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    Blimey! Do you agonise like this over every purchase? I’m exhausted just reading about it. Buy it online, if it’s crap, send it back. (I can pretty much guarantee it will be crap - they so often are).  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    Yes, pretty much! I'm a nightmare.

I agree with you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Just had another look, I forgot how expensive they are! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Buy a secindhand Super Badass for about £50 it's the best rock distortion ever IMO and you might find it's not too different from this new pedal.

The one thing you can be sure of is that this pedal wasn't used on the album as it didn't exist.

Thanks @monquixote ;

I investigated the Super Badass and it looked a good bet for what I am after. So... I had a look online and Amazon had one new on Prime delivery for £92, so I ordered one. I spent a few minutes on Sunday testing it then an hour or so trying it out properly last night and it’s just what I want. The price of the Dookie pedal has eventually put me off, so I’ve cancelled it.

I’m selling my Rat as the Super Badass is much more useful and the deposit refund from the Dookie pedal will cover the rest.

Really appreciate the recommendation, thanks!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Glad to help and delighted you like it!

The more I think about the Dookie pedal the more it annoys me as the sound of that album isn't about magic amps. If you read the sound on sound article the producer doesn't even mention what amps were used, but does mention that it was done on a cheap strat copy and the sound comes from BJA manually triple tracking the parts.

I don't think the Dookie pedal would even help you if you were in a greenday tribute band as the Greenday signature sound is going to the middy sound on its own for breakdowns and to a double tracked sound for the rest.
    If I was doing a tribute band I'd probably want an a/b looper with an eq pedal set to all mids in one loop and a distortion pedal and a delay set to a short slapback with one repeat (TC mimiq if you wanted to be fancy) in the other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Can't disagree with any of that. It just seemed a cool pedal with a range of sounds I would use... but they basically priced me out of it. If I am laying out over £200 I would rather it went into a pot to spend on a nice guitar or a better amp.

Maybe you could buy this with the money you saved? You might not sound like him but at least.......... https://store.greenday.com/accessories1/billie-joe-mask.html
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just a wee update. The Super Badass is brilliant, really liking it. They're available for £86 new at the moment on GG and Amazon (so probably other places too). Seems very good value to me, it's very well built and sounds great.

The Dookie pedal is still not in stock anywhere that I've seen.

Andy

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    I know. Same here.

It’s just too much money unfortunately. I’ve been using my Super Badass quite a lot and it seems a bargain in comparison. Only 1 in stock and it’s in Glasgow, which is my local GG. I’m on holiday in a couple of weeks. I might try one out if I get a chance but it’d have to be amazing Before I could justify buying it.
    edited July 2019
    I know what you mean, it's not "special" enough to justify its price tag. If it was a limited run or did something a bit different i'd be more inclined to take a punt! 

Like this one..
    https://thirdmanstore.com/third-man-records-coil-pedals
    Its completely bonkers, has its own lightning bolt and the yellow one is a limited run of 200..
    It says it’s limited but they didn’t seem to say it was super limited or even suggest it’s very limited at all.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I just think it is way too expensive!