Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Appalling Cover Version by A list Artists

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16103
Any pub band or even function band can be forgiven for a bad or sad attempt at a cover.
When it's a great song it's a shame.
When a top Artist does a dreadful Cover of a great song it's SHAMEFUL.
  Just heard Elton John and the Pet Shop Boys on Graham Norton Radio Show destroy Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again"
Fantastic bit of songwriting and lyric that was so right destroyed by people who should know better and do better.
In fact ,if you can't do considerably better then leave well alone. But this was just woeful.
 I'm still trying to get over Johnny Depp daring to better Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka ..............(never)

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Ronan Keatings version of ’Fairytale of New York’ was appalling. Sets my teeth on edge!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Another example of when to know that it would be impossible to better the original.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Bryan Ferry doing Song To The Siren. (On the album Olympia.) Some of his other covers over the years have been a bit questionable, but that one is shockingly bad - he even changes the lyrics and ruins the meaning of the song.

Scissor Sisters doing Comfortably Numb is another one for the same reason - it's not because it's a 'sacred' song or anything, it's because they appear to have no idea what it's actually about.

Amy Winehouse doing Valerie - it's a man's song to a woman. She sings it with no reference to that or apparently any feeling for the song at all. It may be Mark Ronson's fault though, to be fair.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    None of those are as bad as what those two have done to Gilbert..........I'm amazed that high profile artists would have put that out .
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24345
    I'm getting my copyright lawyers onto you.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • Sugarbabes Vs Girls Aloud covering Walk This Way springs to mind. (Though "A list" might be stretching it a bit). 
    It was a charity single for Comic Relief... A song that's about a boy losing his virginity as a children's charity single? That's before you even get to listening to it. 

Apparently they claimed not to know what it was about! 
    "Backstroke lover always hidin' 'neath the cover
    'Till I talked to my daddy he say
    He said, you ain't seen noting
    'Till you're down on a muffin
    Then you're sure to be a-changin' your ways"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I have no idea who it was but I remember seeing a video for a cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit by some vacuous female, it was set to a dance beat. I'm not that fond of the original but this was just appalling.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    edited January 2019
    Also Lil Kim and Christina Aguilera’s ‘Lady Marmalade’ covet was bloody awful

......but I quite like William Shatners version of Lucy in the sky with diamonds 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7015
    Metallica covering When Doves Cry by Prince.  I honestly can’t tell whether or not they’re massively taking the piss.

https://youtu.be/FgQ57Gv7W7k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    ICBM said:
    Bryan Ferry doing Song To The Siren. (On the album Olympia.) Some of his other covers over the years have been a bit questionable, but that one is shockingly bad - he even changes the lyrics and ruins the meaning of the song.

I like John Froo's version. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I don't like it when people do a version of their own song but try to make it sound different and "interesting" and just loose the drive of the song. Love Bowie but he was bad for it. 

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Cols said:
    Metallica covering When Doves Cry by Prince.  I honestly can’t tell whether or not they’re massively taking the piss.

I came here to post this, what the fuck are they thinking
    DannyP said:
    [t.A.T.u - How Soon Is Now]
    Yes, that's dreadful. I've got the album and there's actually some very good stuff on it, but that track really spikes it.

Trevor Horn though - often a genius, but it remains to be seen what his new 'reinventing the 80s' album is like... I've heard the Robbie Williams cover of Everybody Wants To Rule The World from it, and although not quite as bad it's still pretty poor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Cols said:

Add to that their horrific cover of Thin Lizzy's version of 'Whisky in the Jar', none more shitter....
  • ColsCols Frets: 7015
    joeyowen said:
    Cols said:

I came here to post this, what the fuck are they thinking
    “Dude!  Maybe we can get booed off the stage and finish work early!”
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    DannyP said:

Shudder!!!!!

I can't even bring myself to watch that.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    breakstuff said:

I can't even bring myself to watch that.
    It's one of those things that's probably better watched with the sound off :).

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    A complete travesty or vast improvement on the original.

You choose.  ;)

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Metallica covering Whiskey in the Jar. Sad.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom