No load pot and 500k pots on a Tele - does it brighten the neck PU

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
edited January 2019 in Guitar
Just wondering before I buy a new neck pickup without a cover. 

With the 500k pots do most people only change the tone pot or the volume pot or both when trying to make it brighter? 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited January 2019
    Got a no-load pot on my Tele. Definitely livens up both pickups. Bit of a blessing and
     a curse though - easier to little finger roll it into the no-load detente than to roll it out.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    edited January 2019
    Had a 250k No-Load pot on the Old Growth Redwood Telecaster. Set to 10, it lent the guitar a harsh edge. I replaced it with a regular A250k pot. (I write this as a Blackguard and Roy Buchanan fan.)
    HAL9000 said:
    easier to little finger roll it into the no-load detente than to roll it out.
    +1 Complete PITA for those Greg Koch wah wah effects.

[Edited in an attempt to still make sense after Discussion title got changed.]
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    My fav tele config is to have two volume pots & no tone control. 500k neck & 250k bridge
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    HAL9000 said:
    Got a no-load pot on my Tele. Definitely livens up both pickups. Bit of a blessing and
     a curse though - easier to little finger roll it into the no-load detente than to roll it out.
    These pots are smooth in and out of the "no load" setting
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    HAL9000 said:
    This is very true. It might sound like a nothing point on paper but it actually gets quite annoying.

CTS sell a no-load pot that's exactly the same as the Fender but doesn't have the indent so is easier to turn with the pinky.

The no-load tone will make both pickups brighter - I actually find it makes the Tele bridge pickup sound too ear piercing on the one I've tried.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    edited January 2019
    A year or two back I think Tim Shaw introduced a stereo/dual pot on some Fender guitars e.g. HSS Strat's - 250K and 500K sections on a single splined shaft pot to address a similar dilemma. Anyway, I see Crazy Parts in Germany are now stocking something which looks remarkably similar: http://www.crazyparts.de/electronics/cts-tvt-custom-pots/cts-500-250k-splitshaft-pot.php
    A possible solution?

Edit#1: Alternatively, is it not possible to use a 500K pot and put a 470k resistor in parallel when selecting the bridge pickup? 

Edit#2 : Just seen @thegummy post below. I think the parallel resistor trick is actually probably easier...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    A year or two back I think Tim Shaw introduced a stereo/dual pot on some Fender guitars e.g. HSS Strat's - 250K and 500K sections on a single splined shaft pot to address a similar dilemma. Anyway, I see Crazy Parts in Germany are now stocking something which looks remarkably similar: http://www.crazyparts.de/electronics/cts-tvt-custom-pots/cts-500-250k-splitshaft-pot.php
    A possible solution?
    Is that better than just using a 500k pot and adding a resistor to the pickup you want to have 250s?