Best guitar for 2-3k

What's Hot
As the title suggests, I’m looking for opinions on the best guitar in the 2-3k bracket. An R8/9? Players grade vintage stuff? Luthier built custom stuff? Custom shop Fender?

I’m coming into some money from my Grandparents which will allign with a big birthday so would like to get myself something nice that I’m not likely to get bored and sell like I tend to with a lot of gear. Luther made and affordable vintage stuff isn’t something you tend to be able to walk into the local shop and try out, so I’d like to have a good idea of what I want first.

I’ve had a couple of custom shop fenders and gibson and found them a little (cover your ears) boring, stunning guitars but almost too predictable and lifeless, my current favourite is my 1965 Epiphone Coronet.

I’ve always lusted after R8s but is there something better out there for the money?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Go to a good guitar shop and play alot of things. You may surprise yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    A second hand Rickenbacker 381 is in that price range. I have no idea if it's the best but it's very good, and not boring.

Since there will be about a million other suggestions for everyone's favourite guitar, I'll just start there!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    edited January 2019
    I really like the look of the new Patrick Eggle stuff.  Those Oz teles at Peach look amazing.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited January 2019
    Custom builds have their advantages, especially if you know what you are after and find someone capable of building it
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    An R8 or a Custom Shop Strat ? - Bit like asking for opinions on a 2 seater open top spots car v  an estate car  - Both will do the day to day job, but both different - Don't wan't that to sound off hand, but not an easy question to answer

Great merit in all options you asked about - I assume you already have a nice guitar or two - You mentioned some special funds for birthday/grandparents, so hopefully you'll be buying something to keep for ever - In part I'm not sure if you are looking for the one guitar that does so much and can be your day to day model - In which case I'd probably find a nice PRS, maybe a DGT - If something to compliment what you have, to be proud to own and enjoy, then maybe something more vintage orientated - You could pick-up a 60's SG or ES330 or around 3K, with some non original features - Plenty of options from the 70's but not often the best guitars

Part of me, says that as you have lusted after an R8, then try a few out - If the heart is already heading in that direction, then let your hands and ears check it out - If all is good, then an easy option for you 

Overall I'd be looking to try out many guitars and buy the one that totally inspires you and hopefully you'll be keeping it for many years
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    What sort of stuff do you like to play?
  • An R8 or a Custom Shop Strat ? - Bit like asking for opinions on a 2 seater open top spots car v  an estate car  - Both will do the day to day job, but both different - Don't wan't that to sound off hand, but not an easy question to answer

Great merit in all options you asked about - I assume you already have a nice guitar or two - You mentioned some special funds for birthday/grandparents, so hopefully you'll be buying something to keep for ever - In part I'm not sure if you are looking for the one guitar that does so much and can be your day to day model - In which case I'd probably find a nice PRS, maybe a DGT - If something to compliment what you have, to be proud to own and enjoy, then maybe something more vintage orientated - You could pick-up a 60's SG or ES330 or around 3K, with some non original features - Plenty of options from the 70's but not often the best guitars

Part of me, says that as you have lusted after an R8, then try a few out - If the heart is already heading in that direction, then let your hands and ears check it out - If all is good, then an easy option for you 

Overall I'd be looking to try out many guitars and buy the one that totally inspires you and hopefully you'll be keeping it for many years
    Perhaps should’ve been a little clearer there! I’m set for day to day stuff, I’ve got a couple of nice fenders that I use for practice and gigs etc. I’d like something to keep for life for studio and home use really, much prefer gigging my already beaten up guitars. I’d probably be edging away from Fender stuff just because I already have a few with sentimental value and I wouldn’t want to upset the balance.
    Vintage guitars are very tempting, but my limited experience with them is very hit and miss, in my budget I’d have to be looking outside of the usual LPs and strats to be getting a decent year age, but at what point is it better to get a custom shop than to spend a lot of money for a less desirable year?
    Obviously it’s a tough question to answer on a forum so I’m more after inspiration than definite answers, but there’s not many shops around me where I could play all of the above
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3576
    PRS DGT?

335?

Collings are highly rated. 
  • Chris_J said:
    What sort of stuff do you like to play?
    More modern rock and blues than anything, though I’m mostly set for the sound I want so I’m just looking for something with that’s a bit special. Only real criteria is vintage esque and probably humbuckers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Do you have a good acoustic? If not, that budget puts you squarely in the market for a proper, top-quality (if not 'boutique') one which will certainly last a lifetime.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd be talking to @FelineGuitars about a custom build based on one of their models. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Gretsch or Rickenbacker.
    They're a bit different.
  • As the title suggests, I’m looking for opinions on the best guitar in the 2-3k bracket. An R8/9? Players grade vintage stuff? Luthier built custom stuff? Custom shop Fender?

I’m coming into some money from my Grandparents which will allign with a big birthday so would like to get myself something nice that I’m not likely to get bored and sell like I tend to with a lot of gear. Luther made and affordable vintage stuff isn’t something you tend to be able to walk into the local shop and try out, so I’d like to have a good idea of what I want first.

I’ve had a couple of custom shop fenders and gibson and found them a little (cover your ears) boring, stunning guitars but almost too predictable and lifeless, my current favourite is my 1965 Epiphone Coronet.

I’ve always lusted after R8s but is there something better out there for the money?
    For such a question, I think all the responses will be close to what we would do if we were in such a position. 

It's a bit out of the way from where you are but I'd recommend trying one of @customkits LP's which are truly incredible.  He's based in South London but I think Mojopickups Marc might let you try out his Goldtop Darren built and he's in Yorkshire, Rippondon way I think. That GT is an absolute stunner. 

I know a luthier built instrument isn't for everyone but I myself have been delighted with the guitars I have commissioned, aside from getting a great guitar the personal interactions with the builder make the instrument a lot more personal than just buying something off the shelf, which there's nothing wrong with. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    +1 for the really good acoustic idea. 

I have played my Martin HD28 twice as much as my other guitars put together since I got it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBM said:
    Do you have a good acoustic? If not, that budget puts you squarely in the market for a proper, top-quality (if not 'boutique') one which will certainly last a lifetime.
    I’ve got a mexican Martin 000 which does me for the little amount of acoustic I play, I’d love a proper one at some point but I don’t think I’d get enough use out of a nice one currently to justify it.

I'd be talking to @FelineGuitars about a custom build based on one of their models. 
    Tempted with something like a Feline but I’m nervy that I’d get some of the specs wrong and not bond with it. All of the guitars I’ve bonded with are vastly in terms of construction so I’d have no idea what to get and obviously a custom build would be very hard to shift if I don’t get on with it. Really like the look of the Nash Wayfarer but the only stockist I can find is in Guernsey and I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews about them
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9320
    If you’re covered in th Fender stakes, take a look at the Gretsch players range. They’re around 2k depending on what you want, they have locking tuners, string through bigsby and they’re basically Gretschs that work.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    +1 I'd be going acoustic at that price and you won't need an amplifier either.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11917
    If this is the first time you are spending that much, I would very much recommend not getting a custom build.
    The time to get a custom build is when you've had several guitars at that level, and know exactly what it is that you need changing from the standard models 
    Otherwise it's quite likely that you'd spec it up, and then wish you'd done it differently later, after you've had it a while

My approach is: buy a used top-level guitar, at a price you know you can resell at (and a mainstream brand)

For fender style, I'd recommend Suhr, Tom Anderson over Fender custom shop strats, unless you know enough to tell if it's fake, I was offered a fake once by a Pro player, who didn't seem to know 

If you like semis, then used Ibanez Japanese models are excellent, as are the PRS hollow bodies. 
    I had a Heritage 535 and a Gibson 335, I didn't like them so much

For Gibson style, Gibsons are the most obvious choice, but there are better makers out there

I'd also recommend an acoustic
    Get a used boutique brand model, not Gibson, Martin, Taylor or Larrivee

I'd suggest Lowden, Avalon, Goodall, Bourgeois

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784

My approach is: buy a used top-level guitar, at a price you know you can resell at (and a mainstream brand)

This. You may find a prs private stock in that budget second hand. 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    ICBM said:
    A second hand Rickenbacker 381 is in that price range. I have no idea if it's the best but it's very good, and not boring.

Since there will be about a million other suggestions for everyone's favourite guitar, I'll just start there!
    381 or White Falcon if it were me