PRS custom question

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
edited January 2019 in Guitar
My first big guitar purchase was a cu24 from Matt Uminovs back in the 90s. I went in to buy a les paul , had never heard of PRS but loved the feel of it and walked out happy as Larry.

I kept it for about 9 years (a record for me) but every PRS I’ve tried since sounded harsh in comparison, very strong upper mids that seemed hard to dial out (I am a bit cloth eared though so maybe it’s just me)

Anyway I liked the look of the @Vibetronic ;; CE22 on here recently and nearly pulled the trigger with the expectation that I might need to change the PUs but then wondered if it was worth looking for another CU24. My old one was regular black, cream binding with moons no 10 top, no birds - quite understated.

Anyway, my point now I’ve stopped rambling is what do the ‘boring looking’ CU24s actually go for nowadays ? I traded my minty one in at Absolute Music against a new Fender for about 900 quid before I discovered this place !

Would you be able to get a well used one with dings for £1000 or have prices moved on ? I’ve looked at Ebay and most of the sold ones are ‘offer accepted’ so you can’t really tell the actual selling price.

What say the experts ? (That’s you lot)

Thanks !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If you aren’t in a rush I think you could find a used cu24 for around that price but I’d expect to up it a couple of hundred or so,  if you don’t mind it not it having some dings, or maybe missing the original case or tag card.  I was looking at one Ebay that just sold for 1350 that looked great.   
    Have you thought about s2 models - plenty around within budget and obviously ce models for less - if you aren’t fussed about birds and a pretty top then it a waiting game for the right bargain.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks John and yes have been looking at S2 models as well as the CEs.  I picked up @black ‘s Mira this week and that’s really given me PRS gas - It’s got some SD pickups in it which I’m sure helps, It sounds really sweet.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Thanks John and yes have been looking at S2 models as well as the CEs.  I picked up @black ‘s Mira this week and that’s really given me PRS gas - It’s got some SD pickups in it which I’m sure helps, It sounds really sweet.
    I’m sure it does help - I love the guitars and my old faithful is a cu24 but I’ve never been a fan of the pickups and I agree they can have a harshness that’s hard to dial out - I like the Suhr Aldrich in a PRS.   
    I’ll keep an eye out for any cheap ones.  
    There is a black ce on eBay that I think might have been for sale here a few months ago - imo its a bit over priced for a ce but plain black with binding is a cool look for Alex Lifeson fans and I should have bought when it was for sale earlier for less.  
  • Thanks John, I’ll have a gander. I guess part of my problem is how to gauge how unrealistic the sale prices are on EBay. I’m ok with Fenders and Gibson’s as I’ll bid where I think the right price is but some of the asking prices for PRSs are way above what Is expect and I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ really low balling people and being a PIA
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    Would you be able to get a well used one with dings for £1000 or have prices moved on? 
    I would like to think that prices have increased. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Would you be able to get a well used one with dings for £1000 or have prices moved on? 
    Good point , the the opposite were true then I think we’d have quite a sparse classifieds section.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    Would you be able to get a well used one with dings for £1000 or have prices moved on? 
    Not much, this '94 sold recently for just over a grand and there's quite a few tidy clean ones that have sold too for around the £1200 mark. Even clean late examples are only going for £1500-1800. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/94-Paul-Reed-Smith-USA-Custom-24-faded-amp-OHSC-/173710327399?hash=item2871f13e67%3Ag%3Avj4AAOSwe~lcJBw-&nma=true&si=MTDJoKSrfFHfCjuULwv76iWkO7U%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    I know we are in a saturated market and not  currently a buoyant market, but IMO used PRS Guitars are under priced - That comment is based on the build quality of the guitar - How much a new version costs - How much a used 'core' USA model is today compared to a new PRS S2 - Personally I'd have a used PRS Custom 24 over an S2 Custom 24 - In short, buy a PRS today and you get a lot of guitar for your money

The main issue to check with a used PRS is the trem itself - Those 6 pivot screws can wear out

Plenty of bolt on neck models for sale just over/under 1K - But not many if any used CU24's or 1K

I'd agree that the pick-ups, IMO, are not my first choice, especially on amp settings with less gain, or even clean
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks a lot Mark and appreciate the info - I’m not really much of a trem user although I do enjoy a slight Bigsby wiggle every now and then.
    Yes, I agree for what you get they are underpriced but then again the laws of supply and demand say otherwise. There was a very clean regular  2002 Custom 24 with moons in CSB today that sold with an offer below the asking price of £1350. So if we assume the seller accepted £1250 then by the time he's paid the fees he'll only becoming out with just a shade over £1000. Not great when you think that a new one is circa £3200.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    I'd go for one with zero fret wear which will still be half price of a newy and knowing the the way dentists treat their equipment it'll probably be scratch free as well, i.e as good as new.
    My cu22 brazilian & stripped 58 were around 1.5k and essentially new. Maybe the best second hand (prs) guitars on the market.Cash is king & it's a buyers market.
  • I recommend Suhr Aldrich pickups in PRS guitars. I picked up a great CE22 for well under a grand so keep looking! I've not had much success with the S2 line a bit too thin and toppy for my liking. I sold a CU22 some time ago and regret doing so. The wide fat necks do it for me so CE24's and CU24's aren't often available in that spec. Brazilian necks seem to be toppy to me too. Older Prs's seem to be nicer sounding possibly because of the wood used back then. £1200 for a CU22/CU 24 is a good price I recon so keep looking!
  • Thanks guys , looks like I’ve got to up the budget a tad. Just got back from watching Glass (But that’s for another thread !) so now have a few hours of google perving PRS customs ahead.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    There's a whale blue CU24 down in Brighton listed on Gumtree for £1100 and it looks a lot better than players grade. If you want to expand your search from a CU24 to a 2007 singlecut, there's a natural relic'd one on FB for £1000 and it looks fantastic. Proper gigging machine but unfortunately it's in Leeds.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Just food for thought - I have recently acquired an S2 Standard 24 from here and it plays just as good as my '90 CU24, it sounds a lot brighter than the CU24 but that for me almost gives it the edge in versatility stakes, especially with the very useable (IMO) coil taps as well.
  • Thanks @Logie , that might have gone already as I can't see it on there at the moment, sounds ideal.

Cheers @welshboyo too, I'll have to try and give one of those a road test somewhere where I can be locked somewhere soundproof.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    edited January 2019
    @DrCornelius ;;
    in that price bracket i would be looking at the DGT thats just for sale here. If i had the space i would be grabbing that. Loving PRS at the moment, after buying my SC250 nothing else is getting a look in. 
  • Thanks Mikey and funnily enough I initially tried to nab the DGT, then had a couple of questions , from talking to @Norwegian_Blue since it sounds like I'm one of a busload of Forumites looking at that one !
    I was surprised at the DGT price. I bought a mint 2009 maple top DGT from Coda in 2012 for £1399. They are nothing like a CU24 though. Patience and keep making cheeky offers will winb the day £ ;) 
  • Thanks @Strat54, I think I’ll have to try a DGT as it sounds like they are very popular among the PRS aficionados on here.