Looking for suggestions on my new rig!

What's Hot
I'm getting back into electric guitar after a number of years.
I've £1600 to spend, I only play at home in my bedroom so I don't need a big amp.

I'm currently looking at:
Suhr Modern Satin HSH, Boss Katana 50w and a couple pedals (but I'm not sure what!).
I've been looking at a Strat and maybe a Blues Junior but I think the Jnr could be too loud and the last time I had an electric it was a strat.

What do you think?
Would the 50w Katana be too loud? I've found a used 100w for roughly the same price as a new 50w, but that might be a little too much.
I would like the looper though.
Any suggestions on pedals? Something(s) reasonable >£300-400ish (I'm selling another amp so I should have around that left over)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    The 100w model has a power soak so it can be ran at 5W or 50W if needed. I have the 100w in my living room at the moment and it works okay for me.

Pedals you need a tuner and a decent boost or overdrive. The Katana does everything else.
  • Simon_M said:
    The 100w model has a power soak so it can be ran at 5W or 50W if needed. I have the 100w in my living room at the moment and it works okay for me.

Pedals you need a tuner and a decent boost or overdrive. The Katana does everything else.
    I just realised that a couple of minutes ago and I made an offer on the 100W version!
    Any recommendations on the boost and/or overdrive?
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited January 2019
    My favourite overdrive is the Fulltone OCD. Simple and nice, organic sound and at a low drive it can be a boost pedal too. You will probably get some good suggestions in the pedals/fx section of the forum on different overdrives. The Katana has some great overdrive sounds built in and you can access lots of other sounds using the software and a usb cable so you may find you don’t need much else.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Hmm - That's quite a lot of guitar for the Katana, but I suppose if you were going to upgrade the amp at a later date, it wouldn't matter.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    If I had a Suhr, I think i would be looking at a better amp than a Katana?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The Katana 50 has a 0.5W mode which you can run very quietly indeed. There are indeed better amps around, but for what I need (playing at home, recording, and possibly an occasional gig now and again) there isn't anything I'd rather have. Guitar wise, I'd highly recommend Charvel - and if you go Mexican made (Pro Mod San Dimas or SoCal), then you'll have a bit of money left over too
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)