Tele deluxe 72?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    thomasw88 said:
    I have one, and am thinking of changing the pickups, they're ok, but just a little bland to my mind.

one thing to do tho, is replace the god awful tuners.

these ones fitted mine exactly and are a lot better

https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hardware-parts-c1/tuning-machines-c28/vintage-style-tuners-c32/kluson-f-style-diecast-revolution-tuners-for-fender-6-in-line-no-collar-p13455
    What's the neck like? I believe they are a good handful...
    Its ok,  not actually that chunky which is good, as I can't get on with boats.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    NelsonP said:
    I bought a Shiflett tele, which is basically a hot rodded tele deluxe 2md hand from andertons. I a/b'd it vs whatever the american tele deluxe was at the time (around £1200), from memory.

I preferred the Shiflett. Nothing in it in terms of playability but i preferred the sound of the  humbuckers in the Shiflett. They are great guitars and definitely worth a try... The gold ones look great too!
    Never tried a Shiflett Tele. I'm guessing that the humbuckers are "Gibson-esque", yes? The reissue WRHB pickups in my MIM Tele FSR were really lifeless and wooly. Nothing like as rich as the ones on a Les Paul and a million miles away from the Creamery WRHBs I replaced them with. 

How does the Shiflett sound in comparison to a Les Paul? 
    Yes, the humbuckers on the shiflett are voiced more like a les paul. But its still a tele with and alder body, and a bolted on maple neck so it feels totally different and also sounds different to a les paul.
  • They are doing a Squier "Classic Vibe" version of these this year!

If the quality is anything like the CV I have already, I might buy two different kinds :)
    I really should check out the squier range. As long as they don't have pencil necks they are primed for modding
  • Have a look at used Joe Trohman tele deluxes too. Really well put together apparently and if you're happy to change pickguards, pups and so on, a nice option for a Tele Deluxe. 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    If you replace the pickups with correct repros and 1meg pots then yes. Tele feel but with sounds between a 335 and a tele
    Yeah I've heard mixed reaction about the pups with some saying just replace the pots with 500 meg.  Also heard that nothing out there replicates that original sound because the magnets are just not available anymore..
    Ignore the specific magnet thing. It's really about the larger bobbins(tele size), 42 gauge wire and polepiece magnets(wide range) vs bar magnets(paf style).

You can get decent copies with alnico 5 magets from a few sources.
    ^ this. I've a set from Mojo that I put in a 72 deluxe I built (based around a reissue neck).The pickups really are "wide range" giving a far greater range of bass and treble (terrible description, I know). In all honesty I find the sound a bit niche so haven't used it as much as I thought I would. It scratched an itch though.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    If you replace the pickups with correct repros and 1meg pots then yes. Tele feel but with sounds between a 335 and a tele
    Yeah I've heard mixed reaction about the pups with some saying just replace the pots with 500 meg.  Also heard that nothing out there replicates that original sound because the magnets are just not available anymore..
    Ignore the specific magnet thing. It's really about the larger bobbins(tele size), 42 gauge wire and polepiece magnets(wide range) vs bar magnets(paf style).

You can get decent copies with alnico 5 magets from a few sources.
    ^ this. I've a set from Mojo that I put in a 72 deluxe I built (based around a reissue neck).The pickups really are "wide range" giving a far greater range of bass and treble (terrible description, I know). In all honesty I find the sound a bit niche so haven't used it as much as I thought I would. It scratched an itch though.
    Interesting @FX_Munkee ;
    .. And how do you find the RI neck? I hear some people say it is a handful and others that it is slim..
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Definitely not slim. Biggish and flat in my opinion. It's a 12" radius and noticeable, maybe because it feels unusual on a Fender. It's not massively chunky though, feels more D shape than chunky.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    Definitely not slim. Biggish and flat in my opinion. It's a 12" radius and noticeable, maybe because it feels unusual on a Fender. It's not massively chunky though, feels more D shape than chunky.
    :+1: