question about posting guitar overseas

jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
I've received interest in a guitar that I'm selling on here, the buyers activity has only been in the classifieds and he's in Germany. (If you are reading this, potential buyer please don't take offence!)

What do you reckon, a yay or a nay? and if a resounding yay! then which courier service and payment method (from them) would you advise?proper paypal or gift, if it all goes tits up or it arrives damaged then with proper paypal I'm potentially screwed over and left with no money and a broken guitar and the insurance probably will try to wriggle out even though its in a hard case.

I just have a vision of it getting chucked down a 30ft drop out of the plane onto the cargo trolley by fuckwit agency staff.

Advice please...

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Couldn’t recommend any particular courier (UPS seem to be well regarded) but fwiw I’ve sent guitars to places as diverse as Poland and Bulgaria without incident. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Ask for a Bank transfer, use UPS and insure for the full amount. 

I’ve recently sold and sent a high value guitar to Germany without problem. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    I've sent loads of stuff overseas within Europe with nothing lost yet.i recently sent a large package to Hungary, I used DPD, fully insured and it was fine. Just make sure it's properly packaged, use a proper courier (UPS, DPD) not a shit one (Hermes, Parcelforce).
    Get a fully insured quote, tell the buyer how much the shipping will be and don't send it without insurance - it's their choice to pay for it or not.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453

Germany should be ok (as long as we are still in the EU) as there are no CITES considerations to worry about.  If it has any rosewood in it, then don't ship outside the EU.

That may all change though:

http://www.musicinstrumentnews.co.uk/2018/10/12/namm-offers-signs-of-hope-with-cites/

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5428
    Make sure you use someone (or go through a broker) who will actually insure the guitar. Many won't, or will cap coverage to £100, and of course they will still take your money for full coverage even if they won't honour it. Read the fine print carefully!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Been having a mooch around, an 8kg (I'm guessing a guitar hard case and packaging) parcel is averaging around £80 insured.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    I sent a four and a half grand bass to Germany last year. Deal with UPS directly, they automatically insure for the full value, whereas using a broker or comparison site will only insure for a set amount, charging you extra if you need it. 

You can even talk to a human at UPS, they were really helpful. 

As far as the buyer is concerned I built up a good relationship with him, he was after all sending a load of money on trust to someone he wouldn't ever meet. 
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    I've sent two guitars to buyers who were in France, both went well.  But both packed very securely in proper hardcases which were then packaged in bubblewrap and cardboard.  I'd want full cleared funds though prior to sending.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3220
    Sold a guitar to one of our members in Germany last year. I was reluctant at first just as you are but I must say it was a very smooth transaction. It’s certainly a member I’d seek out for a beer if I was ever in Munich as a result. :) 

Set up a transferwise account and use that so it’s a direct bank transfer and you don’t get stung with currency conversion rates. 

Postage was about £70-80 if I recall through dpd. As always, pack well, photograph the packing process and send insured. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    +1 for UPS. They brought me a Les Paul from Salt Lake City a couple of weeks ago. 3 days door to door and no issues.

Make sure it's insured, and make sure it's packed well.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires