Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Loud amps at home...what are you using to tame them?

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3476
edited January 2019 in Amps
I'd like to record with mine. I've used IRs and load boxes but am interested in what everyone is using to tame their amps for home use and mainly to record them.

Edit: I have not got the luxury of using a speaker cabinet at home and can't play at loud volumes.

Cheers
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nothing. I have a soundproofed garage that offers just enough attenuation to not annoy the neighbours. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Very helpful. Thank you.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very helpful. Thank you.
    Ok, apologies, it wasn’t very helpful. Any good attenuator will help if you insist on using your live rig. I used to use a Marshall Powerbrake but with the quality of modelling these days I’d just buy a small modelling amp and keep everyone happy. 
  • You're right, quality of modelling these days is great. I'm fighting my Kemper at the moment though and am exploring ways to get a real amp to sound as good as the Kemper does on my favourite settings. You know what it's like, tone chasing, it's the bitch that never gives in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You're right, quality of modelling these days is great. I'm fighting my Kemper at the moment though and am exploring ways to get a real amp to sound as good as the Kemper does on my favourite settings. You know what it's like, tone chasing, it's the bitch that never gives in.
    Yeah, I know it well. I used to use an old 5 watt Fender Champ, cranked to the max to get recordable dirt but even that was too much for the neighbours. Interestingly, I’ve recently heard of people applying for an allotment from their local council and utilising the space in inventive ways...
  • jwlademannjwlademann Frets: 3
    edited January 2019
    I use a rusty old marshall powerbrake set to mute and a cab emulator that takes speaker level output (BluBox).  Then I either run to headphones or out to a powered speaker.  This way I can crank my JCM 800 50 watter without knocking down walls.  Not really the same but passable.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Nothing use Modellers and headphones
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Master volume
  • JD50 said:
    Master volume
    To record?

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    ". Interestingly, I’ve recently heard of people applying for an allotment from their local council and utilising the space in inventive ways... " OoooOOoo! That's clever! With solar panels pretty cheap these days and a couple of batteries from a scarp yard and an inverter you could go there at night when the green finger brigade has gone home!  Mind you! Some of the diehards growing prize veg believe you have to plant at midnight under a full moon.  Give 'em a bit of a shock as you launch into "Satisfaction" at 12.02!

Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455

Before I had a real studio I converted my garage into a single room studio and recorded a lot of bands in there. Although it was soundproof so the neighbours weren't a problem I still had the problem of being in close vicinity of guitarist who liked playing very loud to get their sound. So I got a large dog crate, intended for very big dogs like Alsatians and such put their combos in there or my 2 x 12" cab along with a 57 mic .... then I covered it in pieces of heavy carpet to kill the volume. It worked very well indeed and after recording I could collapse the dog cage and roll up the carpet. I recorded an AC30 on full belt for one session but was able to talk over it .... carpet is very effective at killing volume down to 100hz or so 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83 said:
    ". Interestingly, I’ve recently heard of people applying for an allotment from their local council and utilising the space in inventive ways... " OoooOOoo! That's clever! With solar panels pretty cheap these days and a couple of batteries from a scarp yard and an inverter you could go there at night when the green finger brigade has gone home!  Mind you! Some of the diehards growing prize veg believe you have to plant at midnight under a full moon.  Give 'em a bit of a shock as you launch into "Satisfaction" at 12.02!

Dave.
    I do keep meaning to venture out and check it out but I’m just not ready to hit the allotment at midnight. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Danny1969 said:

Before I had a real studio I converted my garage into a single room studio and recorded a lot of bands in there. Although it was soundproof so the neighbours weren't a problem I still had the problem of being in close vicinity of guitarist who liked playing very loud to get their sound. So I got a large dog crate, intended for very big dogs like Alsatians and such put their combos in there or my 2 x 12" cab along with a 57 mic .... then I covered it in pieces of heavy carpet to kill the volume. It worked very well indeed and after recording I could collapse the dog cage and roll up the carpet. I recorded an AC30 on full belt for one session but was able to talk over it .... carpet is very effective at killing volume down to 100hz or so 

I have such a crate for my big gold retriever. I can only shudder at what level of smell and hair would get shaken out of the crate with a cab going at full pelt :')
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9611
    The best Ive used, by far mate, is the Fryette Power Station. Brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Valve amp to - Jettenuator, from Line out into PC - add IR of choice in the DAW, sounds fantastic to me. As long as the Jettenuator is on 2 (I think) you don't need a speaker plugged in. YMMV
  • I just use Behringer GDI
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    edited January 2019
    I run an Engl E650 100w head into a 2x12 Pro with V30's via a Jet City Jettenuator. Surprisingly sweet at very low volumes
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited January 2019
    Theres plenty of devices out there to give you what you want 

the Boss Waza Tube Amp expander looks on paper - the dogs but best part of £1200
    The Two Notes stuff
    The UAD OX
    Suhr reactive loads - I think v2 maybe a NAMM reveal as per the WAZA 

What amp are you trying to tame  - my MK5 25 - as a speaker smulation and a DI out which a more than acceptable for home recording ..

Have you considered an isolation cab ?   clearly would limit your IR but eq / mic or mics  placement might be your answer ? 

no idea of quality - https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Jet-City-JetStream-ii-Unloaded-Isolation-Cab/2DXN at £200

A few prominent Youtubers use isolation setups - Pete Thorn built his own in a former studio setup and he does get some decent tones ...

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11975
    When I lived in a house with thin walls, I had this built by a professional

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/387817/#Comment_387817

http://s809.photobucket.com/user/toneuk/slideshow/Oak ISO cab

you can buy small isoboxes, but they aren't as good as something like this

Now I live in a house with thicker walls, and added secondary glazing to my guitar room, about £340 per window