John Mayer at NAMM on guitar playing and stuff

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27092
I understand and agree with pretty much every word. I'll be half of internetforumland doesn't...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Wow, 4 new colours is 'extending the narrative', US bullshitting at it's best. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27092
    Lodious said:
    Wow, 4 new colours is 'extending the narrative', US bullshitting at it's best. 
    I wasn't so interested in the obvious marketing guff than the interesting musician-y talk toward the end...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    As an aside, I couldn't help at laugh at the number of guitar dealers who had a picture on social media of themselves with JM at NAMM this past weekend... almost all of them with a "look who we bumped into" caption. You didn't "bump into" him, you probably had to queue up for an hour and pay $20 cash for the privilege... well, maybe not the second part, but the fact that every single pic was posed in exactly the same place and I got a stream of like four in a row was fairly telling. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I love his blues playing, but the guy usually seems like a grade A ass to me. Haven't seen the video yet though. Don't like his new sig guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm in your half @stickyfiddle. I could never understand why so many people thought JM was such a dick. I think a lot of it is down to a certain sense of humour that people don't get.

But the stuff about playing music vs playing guitar and about playing "around" characteristics of a guitar or amp was interesting.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Gotta love him :)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    Whitecat said:
    As an aside, I couldn't help at laugh at the number of guitar dealers who had a picture on social media of themselves with JM at NAMM this past weekend... almost all of them with a "look who we bumped into" caption. You didn't "bump into" him, you probably had to queue up for an hour and pay $20 cash for the privilege... well, maybe not the second part, but the fact that every single pic was posed in exactly the same place and I got a stream of like four in a row was fairly telling. :)
    Yes, agreed...cringeworthy stuff. Why didn't they all meet him at last years Silver Sky launch? Worse still was that interview between Lee Anderton and Paul Reed Smith discussing Lee's Rolex's and Porsche. Remember guitar shop owners....the guitar is the star....not you! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Every posed dealer pic I saw of him he looked off his tits.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    John Mayer - a genius? Great joke!
    The Darkness - a genius joke? Great!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Whitecat said:

To be fair, Lee and Pete were more than honest about queuing for 45 minutes and being totally star struck.  But I do see your point, they are all trying to be exclusive looking

Man i'm tired and grumpy.  
  • Nikc said:
    Gotta love him :)
    100% i'm a huge fan of his playing and a fan of his persona too.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    edited January 2019

I really like his playing - and honestly I think he's funny too

For my taste, he's an intelligent guy who finds much of the whole show business/social media thing ridiculous so takes the mickey out of it.

That said he's American (caveat, I've got a lot of American family) so the humour is a little 'different'

And shock horror, he was at a trade show - the whole point of him standing there was for publicity, it's more the Insta-whores wanting to look like it's a chat of two old mates.