Humbucker guitar suggestions

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
edited January 2019 in Guitar
I've recently taken on 2 young lads who are taking lessons from me. They're into Oasis, Green Day, Blink-182 and general rock stuff. A couple of weeks ago I brought in my Strat and Les Paul for them try out and they discovered they really like the electric guitar. They've told their parents who've in turn asked me for suggestions on what to buy. Obviously I need to keep it within their budget (around £200-300 I reckon).

As a player of mainly Fender's and Gibson's (though my Les Paul standard is an Epiphone) what other choices do I have? I can't expect them to go out and buy the same guitars I have but they want something decent.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard's go for £370 rrp I think, but I have a feeling they might not want to spend that much. So what about Vintage? Slightly less but will it still get them that sound they want? Or a Strat with a humbucker?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited January 2019
    Revstar's have guitars in that price range I believe, and a good used one can be had for near the bottom end of that budget. The simple ones look the part as punk guitars, too.

For something Strat-shaped, the Pacifica 311/611 models can be had used for that budget, but don't have double buckers. Splittable bucker in the bridge, though.
  • I'd go with Pacifica, or possibly one of the Jackson JS ranges...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• If you're looking used then the world is your mollusc. 
    New is slightly more tricky. 

Vintage are reliably good.
    Harley Benton are deceptively good too. They bear a STRIKING resemblance to the Vintage range. 
    I've not heard good things about the basic Yamaha Revstar, but Pacifica has long been good value. 
    Don't discount Squier. I'm sure they do a HH Mustang that is well regarded. I play a Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster regularly, that was £300 & is great. 
  • Pacificaaaaaaaaaa
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Squier Bullet Mustangs?  Around a £100 street price, gives them a bit of money to get an amp as well? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pacifica. Squier
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    LTD EC-256.
    Jackson JS32.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Some kind of HH strat. They will identify more with their favourite band (well, 2 of them at least), and I reckon that’s really important for making them want to play.

I would not suggest a Pacifica though... I got one as my first guitar, and I spent the next 5 years wanting to get rid of it. Not because it didn’t play well, in fact it played great and was a quality instrument, but because nobody I listened to played a Yamaha. When you’re young and you’re just starting to discover rock, image and cool is just as important as quality or versatility.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    And I was just about to suggest an Epi SG G400 Pro. A steal at £295 from Dawsons
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    For around £200, I don’t think anyone beats Ibanez, there’s plenty of range, not just pointy stuff 
  • I'd go with Pacifica, or possibly one of the Jackson JS ranges...
    A Pacifica did crop up on my list to recommend but I've never played one before and not sure if it'll do the rock stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Squier Bullet Mustangs?  Around a £100 street price, gives them a bit of money to get an amp as well? 
    Wouldn't go that cheap as Squier guitars typically sound awful. I said if they want to get a guitar first they can wait a bit to get the amp.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    I'd go with Pacifica, or possibly one of the Jackson JS ranges...
    A Pacifica did crop up on my list to recommend but I've never played one before and not sure if it'll do the rock stuff.
    Strat shape with a humbucker in it. Iron Maiden think it will ;)

The ESP LTD stuff it top notch and what I would recommend to my younger self.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I'd go with Pacifica, or possibly one of the Jackson JS ranges...
    The 311/611 is basically designed from the ground up for rock/blues. It doesn't do modern metal, but it does do everything else, really.

(I'm also selling one, so I might be biased, haha).
  • dindude said:
    For around £200, I don’t think anyone beats Ibanez, there’s plenty of range, not just pointy stuff 
    Actually yeah, despite my Pacifica ravings last time I went shopping with a student I ended up choosing an Ibanez Gio for him. It was about £40 less than the Pacifica and sounded better. Don't know the model, it had an S-series style body rather than RG, and HSS configuration.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.