Tremolo or bust

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
Other current threads bring to mind something I’ve pondered recently. I often see tone and alternate tunings sighted as a reason for that 2nd, 3rd guitar etc. The humble strat tremolo seems rarely mentioned.

I appreciate that the tremolo, even unused, affects tone to some degree. But how many of you can’t live without it? If so, what songs are you playing on strat type axes that absolutely necessitate a functioning tremolo?

Im thinking mainly in terms of good old fashioned SSS  strats and players within the blues and rock genres (like myself). Not so much dive bombing shredders.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Bigsby option was obviously the one I had to get when I ordered my Peavey Rockingham. I'm not much of a lead player, but any sustaining chords obviously get a bit of a wiggle.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    The song that really *springs* to mind is ‘Wicked Game’.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Lenny by SRV, and of course Hank Marvin Shadows stuff. More recently I've been playing the Power Station version of 'Get it on' with my 611. Great fun. 

I currently use 3 guitars that have trems.. PRS Cu24, 2010 USA Standard Strat (SSS), and Yamaha Pacifica 611vfm.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Voxman said:
    Lenny by SRV, and of course Hank Marvin Shadows stuff. More recently I've been playing the Power Station version of 'Get it on' with my 611. Great fun. 

I currently use 3 guitars that have trems.. PRS Cu24, 2010 USA Standard Strat (SSS), and Yamaha Pacifica 611vfm.  
    Yeah this is kind of what I was getting at. Other than Lenny I’m not actually sure there’s a song (outwith the metal genre) that justifies the purchase of a new tremolo strat. I’ve had 3 strats in the past that might as well have been hardtails.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    I never use it on single notes - But great to add some texture to chords at times
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    Anything that Gilmour wrote. Can that man actually do a vibrato without one?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Too much trem makes me feel sick. Like all those YouTube demos where they cling on to the trem as if their lives depended on it. Pisses me right off.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Listen to Jeff Beck and Scott Henderson  -  integral part of their playing and they're both a bit good :-) 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    There is  plenty of wobble available on a hardtail strat. Ok you cant be hank, but I don't want to be.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    I just avoid the songs which require one, there are millions of others. 

I do have enough spare guitars to have a functioning trem but I do a lot of bent notes with another one held, which goes flat without a fixed bridge. Plus on most of my guitars a Bigsby or similar would get in the way of the volume knob, which is far more important to me. 

I might chuck a Les Trem on something soon though, I do kind of miss it. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    J Mascis always used the Jazzmaster trem quite a bit. Listen to Out There.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I've generally played without a tremolo (vibrato) bridge on a guitar. Mainly because I would over do it.

However last year I rearranged things and got a gretsch and a strat. Here's the songs I'm working on at the moment that like a trem...

Apache
    Battle without honour or humanity
    Peter Gunn
    Wicked game.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I have always been a big Hank Marvin fan and love Surf music (trying to play more of it at the moment) so basically I need a trem as much as I need fingers
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    The song that really *springs* to mind is ‘Wicked Game’.
    and Sleep Walk
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    Was noodling about with my tele yesterday, faffing about trying to set up 3 amps with stereo effects and the number of times I held a chord and reached out my arm for the non existent trem bar...well, it was a couple of times.
  • I've never owned a guitar with a trem. Not a personal policy, but that's just how it turned out.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    3 of my guitars have Floyd Roses. 1 has a typical Strat bridge and the other is a hardtail.

Funny thing is, I never ever use them. There are pros to them (changing string gauge easily, tuning stability) but they're so fiddly.

Overall, I don't need them and prefer the hardtail guitar. So I don't know why I have them lol
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I never use it on single notes - But great to add some texture to chords at times
    This. I never use it on single notes either, but often on chords.

While it's true that you can bend the neck to get a bit of the same effect, not as much (even not counting divebombing) and not as controlled.

Anything that Gilmour wrote. Can that man actually do a vibrato without one?
    Considering that he also plays a Tele, obviously yes... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    I like giving it a little shake at the top of a bend