Would you buy a guitar with a damaged serial number?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
edited January 2019 in Guitar
I’m looking at a Gibson that’s on eBay and gumtree however the first few digits of the serial number appear to be damaged. These are the ones that are crucial to dating the guitar. The seller reckons it’s late 90’s and confirms it’s authenticity because New Kings Road Guitars have but their stamp on it. 

Here is the guitar: https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/gibson-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar-90s/1326545227?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social - last photo 

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Buying it effectively encourages theft if the resale value isn't destroyed. 
    So on reflection it's for everyone's best if no one does. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Depends how 'scratched' it was. cough cough
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Intentionally damaged implies very strongly that someone has tried to disguise its identity for some reason, and I can't think of any good ones. Badly finished in a way that partially obscures it can sometimes happen on Gibsons.

You can date the guitar reasonably accurately from the pot codes if they're original. There wouldn't be much point in trying to fake the date on a modern guitar anyway, it's not like trying to make a modern one into something 'old'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    @Roland please move to guitars!
    @joeyowen @Winny_Pooh have a look at the link up there^
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Depends on how it sounds and if I was sure it wasn't stolen.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    rico said:
    You should be able to do that yourself. Edit the first post, and change the Category to Guitar
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    As regards the original question...

No way.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    rico said:
    You should be able to do that yourself. Edit the first post, and change the Category to Guitar
    I did not know that, thank you. 
  • I wouldn’t buy it. 
    Nearly £600 for a guitar with a (potential) authenticity/legitimacy issue. No thanks, even if the shop who stamped it verified it. 
    You could do better for that amount of money. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    He also says one pickup has been changed, but looking at the pics, clearly *both* have been. If he’s willing to be less than truthful about something so obvious...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Would you buy a car with the VIN scratched away? . I've had a close up look at the pics and it seems improbable, if not impossible that it is accidental damage to the serial number. The tuning pegs look unscathed, so either very lucky, or the number has been willfully scratched away. I'd move swiftly on from that one. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14291
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Intentionally damaged implies very strongly that someone has tried to disguise its identity for some reason, and I can't think of any good ones. Badly finished in a way that partially obscures it can sometimes happen on Gibsons.

You can date the guitar reasonably accurately from the pot codes if they're original. There wouldn't be much point in trying to fake the date on a modern guitar anyway, it's not like trying to make a modern one into something 'old'.
    would agree

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27100
    Honestly I might consider it for something extremely rare and if the owner could give me a plausible explanation (e.g. I've owned it from new, can provide receipts, but it got nicked once and I got it back a month later). 

But this is just a red LP Studio, and not even particularly cheap. Why would you?

Also, I don't like to buy from anyone who makes nonsense claims about a guitar being from a "good era" cos it's patently just nonsense
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    If it has been stolen remember the Police can confiscate the guitar and at best you lose what you paid for it, at worst, they charge you for handling stolen goods.
    edited January 2019
    All valid points, I briefly considered it (before looking at all the photos I must add) because it's from an era I prefer and it's less than 10 miles away.

The sub £500 LP Studios* are becoming harder to find!

*in a spec I want
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Doesn't look like accidental damage. Looks like the serial number has been defaced which, on a fairly modern guitar, screams to me 'stolen'. Wouldn't be considering buying anything that is potentially hot.

In summary, forget it.