Valuing a guitar for sale

What's Hot
rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
How do you value a 2nd hand guitar for sale, assuming very good condition etc.
Would it be half new price?
Type/make of guitar.
Just for info I'm considering selling my thru neck, shreddy hardtail Jackson(korean) with EMG's. 
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• combination of what you think you can for it, what it has recently sold for, ie on ebay. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    The Reverb Price Guide is useful.
  • I don't think there's a definitive fraction or percentage. It's a matter of what the market will stand... bearing in mind that some guitars do reasonably well at holding onto a good chunk of their original value... and the value of some types of guitars seem to drop like a stone.

As @midlifecrisis said... check out the prices on ebay (but not the asking prices - as those can be out of touch with reality... check what similar or identical guitars have actually sold for). Also, see what dealers are asking for second hand models (generally, a private sale won't achieve quite as much - as the dealer can offer payment by credit card and/or part exchange... and may have priced the guitar to allow for a bit of discount).
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    edited January 2019
    If you look on EBay or Gumtree ad's, it appears that new guitars are nowadays an investment along the lines of Gold Bullion, and that you can expect the same price you paid for them a few years back, in some cases more, no matter that they are some ratty POS, have been battered to fuck, and had some horrible mods done.

But assuming you live in the real world, and actually want to sell the guitar, as above, Reverb price guide is probably a good start.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Search for the item on eBay & apply "sold items" and "sale type- auction" that'll give you a decent estimate. 

I usually assume that any guitar will lose 30% of its new price the moment I buy it... More if anyone has heard me play it! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Have checked Reverb and model not listed.
    However eBay sold items gave me an idea of the value.
    Thanks
  • Be prepared to wait a while: I've found that shred-type guitars don't tend to sell very fast, unless you're prepared to take a stupid offer. That's slightly less true of the lower-priced stuff: I sold a JS32 DInky for a couple of hundred quid quite quickly, but the Pro DK2 I sold late last year had almost zero interest on eBay at £400
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    A good rule of thumb is around 2/3 of the new price if in as-new condition or with acceptable light wear/very minor dings. Not usually less than half unless it's modded or in rough condition, or more than three-quarters if it's a rare discontinued model which is actually sought-after as opposed to just discontinued! Some brands/styles hold or lose value better or worse than that, but you'll be in the right ballpark. If you can accept taking as little as half you'll sell it more easily, obviously.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein