Recommend me a pickup....

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2414
Hi all,

Looking for recommendations of great pickups to go into a 2017 Les Paul Traditional (non chambered or weight relieved).

I have some Slash signatures in there at the moment, and compare to the JB in my 2008 Les Paul, it sounds very muddy and bassy.

The Slash pups sounded great in the 2008 Les Paul, but I swapped them for the JB / Jazz combo, as that can be coil split.

So - anyone have pickup suggestions for a very solid and thick Les Paul, for playing classic and modern rock (guns n roses, slash, Steve Stevens, Whitesnake, Massive Wagons etc.) that are along the lines of the Slash pups, but can be coil split and work in a bassier / heavier and more solid guitar...?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    edited January 2019
    Assuming you're sure it's not the pots (there was a thread about that recently), any low wind PAF should do it (I've had Bare Knuckle Mules for years and love them, though I'm now thinking about a change just to see what else is about). Generally lower wind equals more treble and openness. Although some people would recommend a hotter humbucker for the players you mentioned, if you're finding it too bassy you need a pickup with a higher resonant peak, which generally means lower DC resistance. 

But it's also possible replacing your (probably 300k) tone pots with 500k will get rid of the mud. The Slash set is not known for being dark or overwound.

If you do wanna go hotter, the Steve Stevens signature Rebel Yells are pretty cool and certainly not bassy.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2414
    Cheers mate - they're 500k pots.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14454
    FarleyUK said:
    The Slash pups sounded great in the 2008 Les Paul
    So, put those back in that guitar and try the JB/Jazz pair in the 2017 LP Trad. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    FarleyUK said:
    The Slash pups sounded great in the 2008 Les Paul
    So, put those back in that guitar and try the JB/Jazz pair in the 2017 LP Trad. :)
    Trouble is, the other is my main live guitar - so it needs pups that can be coil split....
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Ford F-150 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    How about some paf style pickups, something like a SD 59 set, for the classic rock songs, then use your main guitar with the JB/jazz for the heavier numbers? I like to have different guitars configured for different options even if it’s not what I’d normally choose.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    I'd recommend getting your slash pups swapped to 4 conductor wiring.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24351
    SD Pearly Gates.

More treble, more sizzle.

Awesome in a thick and chewy Les Paul
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    OX4 PAF’s would fit the bill perfectly
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    The Rebel Yells are, I believe, based on the JB/Jazz combo. 

I am a great fan of BKP Nailbombs. Less gainy than the name implies and the sound great when split. 
  • mfinmfin Frets: 41
    I think you'll get better results with a lower output, Bare Knuckle Mules will bring back the clarity, get rid of the mud at the low end, give you string separation in the chord work even when playing heavy. They coil tap well too. I've heard them transform three les pauls now. (BKP Riff Raff sounded a bit crap in comparison, a guy I know bought that and sent it back and changes to Mules and never looked back).

I know with the right amp and pedals/boost they will really work, particularly for the GnR and all the classic rock, I don't know about Steve Stevens as I wouldn't like to have to listen to any to reference it, I seem to remember he's a high output pickup guy. I'd much rather sacrifice that kind of thing and go for great pickups like mules, then use pedals/boost to go after that more modern sound, because you can't work back from a really hot pickup to a classic sound nearly as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2400
    Another vote for Mules, they're just fantastic. They take gain well, they're really well balanced and they stay clear no matter what.

I should imagine the Oil City Forces Sweethearts are very similar, and I reckon the Tubesnakes would also do what you want.
    Tim
    Cheers all - have emailed Ash at Oil City for,his suggestion as well.

Seems the Mules are a favourite here....
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    My fave humbuckers are 

1. BK Mules
    2. Iron Gear Blues engine
    3. Tonerider Alnico 4 and 2 mix

All 3 sets sound fabulous to me.
    Looks like the Mules are braided so only 2 conductor...?
    Scratch that - found some 4 conductor Mules, so have taken the plunge.

Thanks all!