New Gibson CEO

What's Hot
Im pretty impressed so far with how the new CEO of Gibson comes across. Seems to have his head screwed on and understands pretty quickly whats needed to get them back on track. On top of all that hes a great communicator with a very likeable personality. Im hopeful things are on the turn finally.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    He seems like a very solid choice. Time will tell, and for now, bring on the TV Yellow Special with the fat neck...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited January 2019
    I'm not sure about him yet. He's a little too smug for my liking,  "I'll be honest, I haven't actually met Henry J yet". He pronounced that as though it were a badge of honour, when in fact it's a very easy and slightly cheap snipe at the old regime. 

What Henry J did wrong is well documented and its not rocket science to turn up at Namm with a classic Gibson range. What he does next will be more telling.

His timing is excellent though.  I get a strong sense that Gibson is a proud company that needed a new leader. And he may turn out to be just that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    He has a solid business track record and is a serious guitar player. Time will tell if he can overcome Gibson's biggest problem. Every twat on a guitar forum wants them to make an exact copy of a '59 burst. Innovation is frowned upon.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I just hope that they make an exact copy of a '59 burst, no need for innovation.

;-)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    The only thing that bothers me is...

This was Henry Juszkiewicz too, 35 years ago.

:)

Still, at least we should have nothing to worry about for about the next twenty years!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Philtre said:
    I just hope that they make an exact copy of a '59 burst, no need for innovation.
    And they should make them cheaper so everybody has one.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    I'm not sure about him yet. He's a little too smug for my liking,  "I'll be honest, I haven't actually met Henry J yet". He pronounced that as though it were a badge of honour, when in fact it's a very easy and slightly cheap snipe at the old regime. 

What Henry J did wrong is well documented and its not rocket science to turn up at Namm with a classic Gibson range. What he does next will be more telling.

His timing is excellent though.  I get a strong sense that Gibson is a proud company that needed a new leader. And he may turn out to be just that.

I didn't read smugness in that comment, more like he has hit the ground running so hasn't had the time or chance. Did I read Henry was still being used as a consultant as part of his exit package? Presumably there is every chance there paths will cross.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    It probably just means that Gibson are paying for a mobile phone line for Henry that he's contractually obligated to answer during certain hours... I'm sure he's spending more time on the golf course than in and around Gibson's offices...
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Here is a quote from the Nashville Post that suggests Henry J will continue for at least one year with a salary packet higher than most of us will earn in our entire life:

Juszkiewicz is in line for a one-year consulting role that will pay him $2.1 million in fees and give him a package of warrants to acquire up to 2.25 percent of the shares of a reorganized Gibson. Juszkiewicz also will receive $1.5 million of the proceeds from the sale of Gibson's 54 percent stake in Japanese audio electronics company TEAC.
  • I like him and the other chap who's the CMO, They are both good players and their passion and excitement is contagious. I agree it's fairly easy to create something well received off the back of Henry J's tenure. If you look on instagram and see what's going on at Gibson you get a sense that these guys are also good leaders who seem to have given the employees a new buzz again. I hope it all works out but i think the success of this new years range will make sure that they stick to those core models everyone wants. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Most new CEO’s get the first 100 days to float around learning the business before taking the seat. That he has come in, motivated the team to focus on NAMM, and locked down on a new line of guitars that has been well received is very impressive indeed. I like him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    Everything I've seen and heard suggests a guy who absolutely knows marketing and absolutely knows how to improve the product (including cutting prices). 

I'm rather excited to see what they come up with once the dust has settled on this new launch.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    edited January 2019
    I’m Negan...now, where did I put Lucille. You know, the Arctic White one....!?!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited January 2019
    Everything I've seen and heard suggests a guy who absolutely knows marketing and absolutely knows how to improve the product (including cutting prices). 

I'm rather excited to see what they come up with once the dust has settled on this new launch.
    Pah! Any one of us on here could do his job ;-)

I refer you to my job application, posted here. 

Can't believe the Gibson chairman overlooked me....
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2024402/#Comment_2024402

• The other thing i got was hes listening to the outlets too, they have had a particularly bad deal being squeezed to commit and buy massive stocks during Henrys tenure. It sounds like they have worked out less onerous terms

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    The other thing i got was hes listening to the outlets too, they have had a particularly bad deal being squeezed to commit and buy massive stocks during Henrys tenure. It sounds like they have worked out less onerous terms
    That’s true - the dealership terms became particularly crappy in the late noughties IIRC. You could kind of see why they wanted a little more exclusivity around the brand, but the model didn’t work well in the UK. Also look at Fender. Most shops stock a few pieces, so the brand is well spread.