Quasimodo Les Paul Query

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
edited January 2019 in Making & Modding
Probably one for @WezV, @ICBM, @SteveRobinson, etc...

Been offered a nice-quality ‘70’s MIJ LP which is right up my street. However, it’s suffering from a hump in the neck (post-body joint). Seen this many times before on a variety of guitars.

Previous experience tells me this is either a quick fix (fret dress) or a proper job (frets out, level the board and refret).

Any idea re. a current ballpark figure for either of the above strategies?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    70’s MIJ LP
    From the Bell's Catalogue? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Partial fret dress over the affected area if the rest is OK - £50
    Full fret dress if it's better to do the whole thing - £100
    Defret, level board, refret - £300 or so

(Shop prices - a one-man workshop might charge a bit less.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Ta! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Partial fret dress over the affected area if the rest is OK - £50
    Full fret dress if it's better to do the whole thing - £100
    Defret, level board, refret - £300 or so

(Shop prices - a one-man workshop might charge a bit less.)
    I really must revise my pricing structure!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    SteveRobinson said:

I really must revise my pricing structure!
    I know... I typed that and then thought "What? That's far too much!" But actually it isn't. It's 2019... when a decent pint in a pub or a cup of fancy coffee costs about a fiver.

I charge £40 per hour which I think is about standard these days, and although technically the 'work' in the partial fret dress should only take about half that, by the time you've added in the initial playing/measuring assessment, done the work, probably re-strung it, a set-up at the end and a final playing assessment it's going to be an hour from case open to case closed even on a good day. And a shop will have to add VAT on that as well, even assuming a sole trader isn't VAT-registered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom