Generally speaking, was 2008 a good year....

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4702
..for LP Standards?
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14291
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    Transition era - The 2002 spec'd model changed in 2008 - New 2008 spec'd models had locking tuners  + asymmetrical neck profile + Neutrik 'locking' jack socket + see thru rear control plates and pots on a circuit board - Such features don't make it a crap guitar, but they are not what an LP Std is meant to be about, so 'vintage' based players will snear at them - Yet you might well find one that appeals to you - Spec changes should mean a lower price than earlier models

If it does not have the above features it will be an earlier 2008 model - Not sure when they stopped shipping the earlier spec and the new spec came in - But easy to spot the difference
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    No....all the best wood had gone by then, sorry. Plus the world went tits up with the huge financial crash.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wasn't a fan of the locking jack socket personally, but it's not a huge deal.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27098
    2008 was the year they started dicking with the LP Standard. Not remotely good imo. 

As @guitars4you notes, 2002-2007 is generally a better bet. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    2008 was the year they started dicking with the LP Standard. Not remotely good imo. 

when you put a new spec'd  2008 LP side by side with a 2002/2007 model, the difference is huge regarding feel + playing performance, certainly amongst any traditionalists - Hard to accept that Henry got so much right in 2002, then wanted to 'dick' it about a few years later
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27098

when you put a new spec'd  2008 LP side by side with a 2002/2007 model, the difference is huge regarding feel + playing performance, certainly amongst any traditionalists - Hard to accept that Henry got so much right in 2002, then wanted to 'dick' it about a few years later
    I genuinely believe he watched Steve Jobs launch the iPhone and got ideas above his station.

The 2008 LP wasn't that bad (at least compared with 2015!) I just didn't like the asymmetrical neck and thought the other changes were pointless.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader

I genuinely believe he watched Steve Jobs launch the iPhone and got ideas above his station.

The 2008 LP wasn't that bad (at least compared with 2015!) I just didn't like the asymmetrical neck and thought the other changes were pointless.
    Agree it is the neck that does it for me as I just don't like how it feels - The other changes then just add to the 'negative' vibe 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1336
    It depends what you want from a Les Paul standard. If you want traditional, the '2008' Les Paul Standard is probably not for you.

I have one, and it's the one guitar I've kept longer than any other. It's absolutely wonderful for gigging.

My take on the pros:
    • Full Chambered body - this guitar is the lightest Les Paul I've seen, wonderful for 2-3 hour gigs. Also, it's really resonant and sustains for days. Just because they didn't chamber them in 1959, doesn't mean it doesn't make for a good guitar.
    • Neck carve - it's asymmetric - slightly chunkier on the top. It's also a chunkier "50s" feel - the asymmetric necks from 2012 onward are more "60s". I bloody love the neck on this - it's chunky but the asymmetric shape means it's really comfortable.
    • Locking tuners - practical, stable, has keystone knobs so although not green plastic klusons, they look fine.
    • Tonepros locking bridge/tailpiece - decent quality, don't fall off when you change strings
    • Pickups - I know pickups are a taste thing, but I really like the Burstbucker Pros this has.
    My take on the cons:
    • Binding - this was during the pink plastics phase - i think it began in 2008 and ended some time around 2013. It's not that bad, but I'd prefer it if it was a little creamier. Plastics can be changed but not binding.
    • Neutrik jack - I see what Gibson was trying to do, but it's unnecessary and looks a little wierd. That said, I've not changed it out and it's easy enough to do if you want to.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4702
    Thanks chaps.  I am much better informed now and I know what I'm looking at and for, when I get to see it.  I'll report back.

Of all the LPs I've owned, oddly enough, the neck I liked best was the asymmetric neck on my 2015 Standard.  Hate to say this but I should never have sold that guitar....................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    rlw said:
    Thanks chaps.  I am much better informed now and I know what I'm looking at and for, when I get to see it.  I'll report back.

Of all the LPs I've owned, oddly enough, the neck I liked best was the asymmetric neck on my 2015 Standard.  Hate to say this but I should never have sold that guitar....................
    I’ve heard this from a few others - I think the 2015 standard will be quite sought after in the future. If you check ebay they don’t come up often and are ticking up in value. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited January 2019
    mort said:
    rlw said:

I’ve heard this from a few others - I think the 2015 standard will be quite sought after in the future. If you check ebay they don’t come up often and are ticking up in value. 
    Never tried that neck but I am curious. The 2015s had high end appointments (MOP inlays etc) and originally sold at a premium
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:

Nothing wrong with the asymmetric neck if it suits you - After all, it is all that matters - So glad you don't listen to paid up members of the grumpy old gits club (I'm in that) who like a 'traditional' feel
  • Funnily enough, the 2008 LP Traditional was a stonker, and seemed to mark the beginnings of a general improvement in QC at Gibson from then onwards.