Tele' Vs LPSt... Potential GAS alert

What's Hot
So I've been thinking i need something with humbuckers and then i got to wondering...

If I took an HH Tele' and a Les Paul studio and fitted the same pickups in both, would there be noticeable difference in tone or would it just be in the feel/play-ability of the guitars?
I know there would be some difference due to the woods used but does it stop there??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    edited January 2019

I know there would be some difference due to the woods used ?
    I refer the reader to the definitive guide* on this matter
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/148954/is-there-such-a-thing-as-tone-wood-lee
    (* actually, don't bother looking at that thread)

Seriously though, an HH tele and a Les Paul do sound different. Different woods, bridge, construction, scale length etc.
    In fact pretty much the only thing they have in common is that they both have humbuckers and a bit of a rock n roll vibe.
    They also feel totally different to play.

How much have you got to spend? And what kind of music do you play? Are you more of a Fender or Gibson person?
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5763
    I had a 2016 LP studio and a Shiflett Tele on hand at the same time and in a blind listening test, several people couldn’t tell between them.

I generally prefer teles but never could bond with the Shiflett. That’s my totally non scientific input you your question. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:

How much have you got to spend? And what kind of music do you play? Are you more of a Fender or Gibson person?
    I'm not really biased either way when it comes to the big 2, I've a SS Tele' that I love but I also enjoy using a buddy's Les Paul studio. Money wise I guess i'd be around the £400 mark so plenty good enough for a used MIM Fender or Classic Vibe Squire but not enough for a used Les Paul Studio. Could look at an Epiphone but from memory they are a bit of a lump (I had a Epi' Les Paul custom way back)