Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

CITES UPDATE and hopefully the end of the matter

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The idea that but for this proposed amendment Brexit would have lead to chaos is sobering.  It makes me wonder how what other industries may be similarly affected, with no cavalry riding to their rescue.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    The idea that but for this proposed amendment Brexit would have lead to chaos is sobering.  It makes me wonder how what other industries may be similarly affected, with no cavalry riding to their rescue.
    Not sure it would have lead to chaos.  It would just mean we would all order from places like Andertons and GAK instead of Thomann.  Under the current CITES rules, the importer/retailer would have to do all the paperwork whether they are in the UK or Germany.  It's only when we go and buy from the likes of Thomann that it would be a problem.

Given the similar prices of all the big UK retailers, it wouldn't have surprised me to see prices go up without someone like Thomann as competition.

If Mark is selling guitars to other parts of the EU, it would affect him, but he may pick up sales from UK buyers who no longer buy from the continent.

If this were to happen, it would only be a temporary thing anyway.  If we leave with no deal, then there is a hard border in Ireland.  The backstop is no longer blocking anything.  The Irish will then be actively looking for a deal as soon as possible, as would German car makers, and French winemakers.  The whole dynamic of the negotiations would change.  Something would be done very quickly, and it is likely to be a much better long term deal.  This is why May has to be able to threaten no deal.  It gives us a much stronger negotiating position.  I think part of the reason that May got such a poor deal is that the EU having banking on Parliament forcing her to cave in.  Some of the remoaner MPs are playing right into their hands.

On a related but slightly different subject, there is a trade deal with Japan coming into force soon.  That will be dependent on what happens EU wise, but even if we leave with no deal, we should be able to negotiate one of our own along similar lines.  That should mean no duties on importing all those 80's Japanese guitars that are so cheap over there.  With the CITES stuff out of the way as well, there are some intriguing possibilities.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14300
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^ - that is about the jist of it - Currently no customs barrier between the UK and EU Countries - So no paperwork required on any apendix 11 rosewood guitars regarding CITES certificate - Post Brexit and subject to the final outcome, any EU country selling into the UK or vice versa, would require the relevant CITES paperwork - Be it a dealer or private seller/buyer , ditto builders, ditto suppliers - I need to check this but it might well include any guitar with an appendix 11 rosewood fingerboard, be it new or 5/10/15 years old - I think it will based on a recent sale I had to Jersey 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ordered a rosewood neck recently off Stratosphere, and they refunded me, and said they wouldn't ship it to Europe. Bummer. I thought they had relaxed it all a bit.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    Ordered a rosewood neck recently off Stratosphere, and they refunded me, and said they wouldn't ship it to Europe. Bummer. I thought they had relaxed it all a bit.
    Nope... as above, May is the earliest it can happen, and sometimes changes are delayed beyond ratification...
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Ordered a rosewood neck recently off Stratosphere, and they refunded me, and said they wouldn't ship it to Europe. Bummer. I thought they had relaxed it all a bit.
    You jumped the gun!!
  • Guess I’ll look for an alternative dark wood neck or wait it out and see what comes up used ....
  • "Caught in the crossfire' ... It was pretty disgraceful that the CITES regs were brought in with no regard for the many people and businesses that would be caught in the (very wide)  net. Very much a case of 'Bring in blanket legislation and amend it according to who protests the most later' ... a lazy and awful way to draft legislation.
    Julian

Owner of the New (in 2019) guitar shop in Frome, Somerset. Coffee House Guitars. Selling a range of high end used guitars.

• Didn't I hear a story that a whole consignment of guitars were destroyed in the UK simply because they didn't have the correct documentation that was required by CITES? That makes no sense now all those guitars are firewood now so no use to anyone now. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/