Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£50k Les Paul... History?

What's Hot
WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
in Guitar tFB Trader
Love the description ..

`Who cares about a bit of wire and pickups

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323677361349

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fake as F**K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    Fake as F**K
    Why?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    This one has been doing the rounds for years. I believe it's a 50s guitar too - in fact a 50s Gibson Les Paul - just not an original '58-'60 sunburst Standard...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    "Period correct/vintage features are unimportant by the way while you're here please pay 50k for this vintage instrument"
  • @ICBM What model do you think it might be?
    @ICBM What model do you think it might be?
    If I remember rightly the consensus is that it's an earlier 50s P90 Les Paul that's been retopped. The giveaway is the seam separation behind the bridge, apparently that's normal for conversions done by the particular luthier who did it (I forget his name).

The other giveaway of course is that it's "only" 50K. If it was a real one it would be a lot more than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    This one has been doing the rounds for years. I believe it's a 50s guitar too - in fact a 50s Gibson Les Paul - just not an original '58-'60 sunburst Standard...
    I recall this coming up many times in the past - without googling around to find its previous listings I thought it was far more than 50K previously - And yes previous postings on FB have shown more about its history/origin
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The guitar sounds great (in the hands of John Miles).

But until the seller establishes what the guitar is, he will not even get Conversion money, let alone the asking price. The guitar has no provenance?  Awkward. So he has to start with reliable  expert opinion. Someone who has worked on dozens of 50s Les Pauls.
    Until he gets that, he is not just wasting your time. He has been wasting his own time for the past 5 years or more.

I could be persuaded that a guitar previously owned by Mick Ralphs may attract more buyers. I can see no evidence that a guitar owned by John Miles would more than double in value.

• Voxman said:
    Fake as F**K
    Why?
    Where do you start,stop tail piece wrong angle, knobs do not look like genuine knobs, paint on back looks totally wrong, switch looks all wrong also.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    If anyone is tempted, they do an Epiphone PlusTop Pro in very a similar colour you can get for £350 if you shop around.

#Justsaying ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    If I remember rightly the consensus is that it's an earlier 50s P90 Les Paul that's been retopped. The giveaway is the seam separation behind the bridge, apparently that's normal for conversions done by the particular luthier who did it (I forget his name).

The other giveaway of course is that it's "only" 50K. If it was a real one it would be a lot more than that.
    Thanks for the info. So does that mean people think it may be a Standard (perhaps a goldtop) that may have had its top replaced... or that it could be a LP Junior with a maple cap added?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:

Thanks for the info. So does that mean people think it may be a Standard (perhaps a goldtop) that may have had its top replaced... or that it could be a LP Junior with a maple cap added?
    It would be a Standard that has been retopped; putting a top on a Junior would require a huge amount of work as the neck angle is wrong.

Loads of LP Goldtops were re topped in the 70s.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

I’ve not even clicked the link but wasn’t this one a Dick Knight ‘conversion’?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • I like the fact that he considers it a players guitar....... at 50k???!??! :o
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Assuming it is a conversion - and it's been doing the rounds for so long, you begin to doubt it.

It's an example of all that can be bad about them (and I have one I love, which is nothing like this) - this is obviously a retop, I think new fretboard and inlays etc.

So actually at best it's a 52 neck (only the back of the neck) and mahogany part of the body, the rest is definitely off - plus it has a fake number and as others have said - a most dubious colour of red on the back.

ANY modern Gibson is a better guitar AFAIK, and that's from a vintage guitar guy
    miserneil said:

I’ve not even clicked the link but wasn’t this one a Dick Knight ‘conversion’?
    Yes, that’s the name I couldn’t remember.

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    edited February 2019
    If you've got £50K to spend on an old Les Paul you wouldn't be spending it on this one.  You could get a much better conversion for less.You could buy an all original P90 goldtop for less.  You could buy a basket case or husk and have it converted for less.

He's either delusional about what it is and what it's worth, or is trying it on. 

• How does he think that with zero feedback and with all the doubts about authenticity which he helpfully describes in the listing that someone is going to be persuaded to part with £50k? The mind boggles. I actually think some of these eBay sellers have psychological problems.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    I have the money for it right here.

Admittedly, the notes have been converted from Monopoly money but won't make any difference, will it?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7050
    tFB Trader
    If that's the guitar he's playing on "Highfly" then I'm out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom