Tanglewood.....yes, really......Tanglewood Guitars

What's Hot
AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
edited April 2014 in Guitar
Many years ago starting out I had a Tanglewood Tomkat guitar, it really was rather good for the money - I think I sold it and bought a Cort M600 which was equally rather good for the money.

However, I walked past a guitar shop earlier and saw one of these in the window for 400 smackeroonies only.

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/electrics/tsb94/TSB94MTGBK.html

I know it's only a veneer top but Gordon Smith have been using those for years and still charging a grand, so lets see weigh up the other specs:

Mahogany body with maple binding.
1 piece neck.
Graphtech nut.
Locking machine heads.
Entwistle magnatrem that some people have been raving about.
Clever electronic gadgetry and pickups.

That's got to be a bit of a bargain hasn't it?? Or have I had too much whiskey?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Tanglewood are really good. Tomcats are now quite revered and their lower/mid price stuff is excellent.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The signature les Pauls were originally supposed to be tanglewoods weren't they?
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I have owned 3 and they were all very good indeed, shame I sold them on. But that is the refrain of most of us on here.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    sorry there are 2 there.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Hmm... there's a Tanglewood Orleans for sale close to me - its a Gibson 175 copy - and I'm very tempted. Set of flatwounds and I reckon could be a great jazzer.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    I like the look of that place.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    I own x2 tomkats one brown/red'ish quilt with a maple FB and another in Green/black burst both have the vine type inlays (ive read these where really made by cort)

both are very nice guitars and play as well as any PRS SE i owned or tried,i think i payed £80 for the one and £110 for the other,

One in the OP looks pretty nice still very berlin/prs'ish  i'll keep an eye out for one next time in bham