Boost vs Volume knob on a Clean Amp

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 837

Lately, I have taken to using a non-buffered simple non-esoteric boost pedal in front of my amplifiers. Set to a modest boost and running the amplifiers very clean.

Both my amps are Fender style clean channels (Roland Blues Cube Stage & RedPlate Blackverb)

And it sounds lovely ( and I’m talking pristine clean tone).

If I don’t use a boost pedal and I increase the gain on the clean channel somehow it doesn’t sound as nice.

For a CLEAN channel (volume only, no gain knob), there should be no difference right? Boost pedal or turn up volume should (theoretically) be the same.

On the other hand I’ve heard that it’s not the same. Using a boost into the front end of an amp is one of the oldest tricks in the book for getting great tone. You can't get the same effect by simply turning the amp up.

Expert opinions please...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    It's not the same. There will often be a cap across the amp's volume control, so turning up the volume changes the frequency response as well. Even if there isn't, there can sometimes be unintentional frequency changes.

If it sounds better to you using the pedal, use the pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Most boost pedals add their own flavour as well as increasing volume.
  • jaymenon said:

Lately, I have taken to using a non-buffered simple non-esoteric boost pedal in front of my amplifiers. Set to a modest boost and running the amplifiers very clean.

Both my amps are Fender style clean channels (Roland Blues Cube Stage & RedPlate Blackverb)

And it sounds lovely ( and I’m talking pristine clean tone).

If I don’t use a boost pedal and I increase the gain on the clean channel somehow it doesn’t sound as nice.

For a CLEAN channel (volume only, no gain knob), there should be no difference right? Boost pedal or turn up volume should (theoretically) be the same.

On the other hand I’ve heard that it’s not the same. Using a boost into the front end of an amp is one of the oldest tricks in the book for getting great tone. You can't get the same effect by simply turning the amp up.

Expert opinions please...

I’m no expert but I’ve found this with boost in front of drive pedals as well. Though I suppose the treble bypass capacitor on guitar volume also has an effect.