PRS SE gigbag - what the hook?

What's Hot
Having recently purchased a PRS SE guitar supplied in their branded gigbag i have just noticed that there is a small pocket near the top with a large hook and chain attached to the bag, It does not look like it has been retro fitted.
I have never noticed this before with gig bags, i guess it is to hang the bag up, my question then is, are guitars supposed to be stored in gigbags that are hanging up on some sort of rack?

Or have i missed the pont completely?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5666
    I take it as a convenient way to store the bag out of the way when it's not being used.  I hang my son's bag in his wardrobe so it's not cluttering up his room.  I guess you could keep the guitar in it and store it that way too if you wanted.

Rather a neat idea I reckon.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3663
    I've just checked one of mine and it has the same. Since it's about to go back in the loft I may make use of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    If I remember correctly, from an interview with Paul Smith, it's so you can hang the gig bag up in the oversized coat locker on aircraft, which means you have another chance to avoid the gig bag being put in the hold if it won't fit in the overhead locker - he always travels with his guitar in a gig bag, even though it's an expensive Private Stock model. OK, you might argue that he could have it replaced more easily than most of us...

Although aircraft usually only have these in first class - which Paul travels by I think, so again it's something that might not apply to mere mortals on Ryanair - they're often not full and the cabin crew will allow the space to be used by other passengers if you ask nicely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Haven't got one on mine.
    Could it possibly be a Chigbag?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I just checked mine... I’ve had it for years and never knew it was there, but yes, there it is!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 988
    Saw a video on some guitar channel, where they said its used to hang the gig bag in your wardrobe.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Its also on mine. 

Wardrobe hanging is a good shout for storage! 

I'll have a check later but I have a feeling the bags too long to fit in mine :/ 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    PRS Gigbags are the best you can get.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Mine too never noticed could be useful :)
  • The hook is very handy for storage. I use mine to hang guitars safety out of the way. It’s a great idea, I wish that more makers did it as I have lots of unused gig bags. Having read this thread I might have a look at them with a view to putting hooks on some of them, I think that some of the better ones have a tag at the top which might lake a hook.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    The hook could also prove handy for pitting cherries or removing stones from horses’ hooves.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    Let's not get carried away. 
    They're not the best you can get. 
    I have one that came with my S2 Cu24. (It has the hook.) 
    i also have one that came with my Suhr Classic Pro. The Suhr gig back is loads better. 
    Thats just one example. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    edited February 2019
    Nerine said:
    i also have one that came with my Suhr Classic Pro. The Suhr gig back is loads better. 
    Thats just one example. 
    Right but
    lets add some logic to that statement. 
    The PRS SE gig bag is very good and comes with a guitar priced around £600

the PRS S2 gig bag is also nice for a guitar that comes in at £900

the Suhr wants to be better if you’re supplying  a gig bag not a hard case for a guitar priced around £2000.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    grungebob said:
    Nerine said:
    Thats just one example. 
    Right but
    lets add some logic to that statement. 
    The PRS SE gig bag is very good and comes with a guitar priced around £600

the PRS S2 gig bag is also nice for a guitar that comes in at £900

the Suhr wants to be better if you’re supplying  a gig bag not a hard case for a guitar priced around £2000.
    Well why make such a sweeping generalisation in the first place? Personally I'm not a fan of gig bags, but the one that came with my Suhr is very good, I'll concede. 
    It's also far better than the one that came with my PRS. 

If we remove price from the equation, in the same manner as the post I was referring to, it's nonsense to say that PRS gig bags are the best you can get. 

The guitar was half the cost, but the gig bag seems like it's quality is less than half that of the Suhr one. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I find that the PRS gig bag is better for tone generally - I know not many will be aware of this but by hanging your PRS SE you allow the wood to relax creating a finer tonal balance. It is also noted that the PUP's become more comfortable within their settiings allow for higher highs and great depth to the lows - All true honest ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • it's nonsense to say that PRS gig bags are the best you can get. 
    I completely concur. Very good considering the source (another example would be the Line 6 bags that came with the original Variax) but not very special compared to Mono or the blessed Reunion Blues. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    It's also fair to say that the older PRS bags were much better quality than the current ones.
  • I find my Suhr gig bag to easily be the best I’ve encountered. But, internet wisdom has taught me that it’s sterile. Dunno what it is, but I just can’t bond with it. I like having a gig bag with imperfections, I like having to fight the zip rather than just it just working smoothly. My gig bag doesn’t have mojo.
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XandoorXandoor Frets: 6
    edited February 2019
    I got the hook on mine too. It's a gig bag. It does the job.Tidy.