Looper pedals. Any experience or wisdom to impart?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    davros said:
    I've got an RC-20XL, which I've used for a few open mics. It's good for live with the 2 buttons, and the ability to add in both a guitar input and a mic input - even if you don't sing it's good to add purcussion, etc.

If you fancy a laugh, here's my first foray into looping live!

I have a ditto for home use, which I use all the time, but I wouldn't use it live for the reasons you outlined.

I've not used the RC-20 in a while as I've not been to any open mics and haven't used it with the band. If you're interested, it's for sale (I live in Brum).

Just to be clear. I lol'd you because the clip was quite funny and NOT! because you are in anyway crap. Thanks for posting .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1334
    Haha, no offence taken!!
  • crunchman said:
    I'm interested in an EHX Grand Canyon delay, which also has a 16 minute (way more than I need!) looper and has two footswitch buttons.  I have a Boss RC1 at the moment but want to make room for a delay on my board without losing a looper, and the RC1 is the prime candidate to make way. 
    Was thinking about squeezing in a Ditto, but if I can justify buying the EHX for all the reasons I want it for, I'm hoping the looper part of it will adequately take the place of my RC1. Can't see any other really appealing combined delay/looper options, most are single button with about 20 secs loop time, for example.  The single EHX Canyon has 62 secs, but the Grand Canyon allows you to integrate the delay effects into the looper, plus has speed and reverse options, so I hope its a decent substitute for a dedicated looper. 

Another option would be the Strymon Timeline.  No quantising or fancy features, but does all the basics.  Also has multiple footswitches for control.  It has the benefit of being a great delay pedal as well.

I've not tried any of the ones with quantisation, but if you don't have that, you have to be really accurate with your timing on the first loop.  It takes quite a bit of practice.  You need to play in time and then, most importantly,  you have to step on the footswitch at exactly the right moment at the end of the loop.

Thanks, good suggestion but the Strymon is nearly twice the price of the EHX and only has (I think) 30 secs of looping time too. I do like Strymon though, I have a Flint & El Cap and I expect the delay FX may well be better than the EHX option, but this time its out of my budget.
  • smigeon said:
    joetele said:
    The Headrush V2 seemed to lose sonic fidelity after a few loops stacked, so I tried the Ditto which was good but a tad fiddly. Have been using a Ditto X2 which is a godsend with the second footswitch as well as things like reverse etc. You can get them for £70 second hand. I'd love something that had quantize but have no experience with other loopers at present. 
    I’d second the comment on the Ditto. I had a Digitec but it compromised tone in a subtle way. Hated it. I now have a Pigtronix Infinity, which sounds great and does everything you could wish. Only I hardly ever use it because it’s big and complex and needs 18v. I also have a little Ditto v1 which sounds great also but is at the opposite end of the complexity spectrum. Lo and behold, I use this all the time and hardly miss any of the Pigtronix’s fancy features. The only thing I miss is a dedicated stop button (to stop, you need to tap twice which is impossible to do accurately. So I’m on the lookout for a Ditto x2, for that reason only.
    Im with you here having owned ALL of the loopers, and find that 99% of the time I simply use the Ditto !

Simple cheap and effective, and for some reason, easiest to find your timing. I have 2 of them and they are fun to use.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    edited February 2019
    But seriously, how does quantising on loopers actually operate in practice?

Thanks for all the answers so far. @davros , enjoyed your vid! =)