Pickup for just the bottom three strings...

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    Roland said:
    Lewy said:
    So essentially I couldn’t have wasted your time more if I’d deliberately set out to do so.
    You don’t visit Off Topic much then.
    Literally never :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like a reasonably easy (but lengthy) custom piece could be made and mounted onto the neck and middle pickups.

I'd be worried that the previously mentioned vintage rails would be insufficient, as the rails only transfer the magnetism to the string - they don't actually form any of the 'picking up' mechanic. With the other rail's magnetism being so physically close, I think you'd end up with a bit of bleed.

You'd need the pickup coil to physically cover 3 strings to achieve this absolutely,  in my opinion.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Really nice idea and application 
    As an afterthought  it should be possible to push out 3 pole pieces from an alnico single coil to achieve this, no? 

I refretted a Shergold Marathon bass for my father inlaw, it had a stereo output (2 mono jack sockets) when both sockets were plugged in the pickups would only register 2 strings each, going to separate outs, it was fun playing around with 2 amps for a few days. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Sarge said:
    Really nice idea and application 
    As an afterthought  it should be possible to push out 3 pole pieces from an alnico single coil to achieve this, no?
    If it’s a Fender USA Standard-style pickup with a plastic bobbin, yes. If it’s a traditional fibreboard construction, no - you’ll break it.

I think Alegree might be right about signal being generated in the unmagnetised part of the coil though. If so, what you need is a G&L Comanche... they have proper split pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11918
    edited February 2019
    or buy a second hand VG88, which could do everything you want I think
    (or a vg99)
    My solution (shipping next week hopefully)...

https://www.submarinepickup.com/sub-pro-index
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Lewy said:

Have you received the subpro yet @Lewy ?

Looks like the first batch is sold out and shipping.
    Lewy said:

No I haven’t and I’m getting quite cheesed about it if I’m honest. Latest update from him was that they were shipping Thurs/Fri last week. I’ve had to chase consistently and only got an answer when I said I wanted to cancel my order. The response I got then was that he’d be able to get one in the post to me that week and that was a month ago. If it doesn’t show up this week I am cancelling and opening a case with PayPal if necessary.
    Lewy said:
    Lewy said:

No I haven’t and I’m getting quite cheesed about it if I’m honest. Latest update from him was that they were shipping Thurs/Fri last week. I’ve had to chase consistently and only got an answer when I said I wanted to cancel my order. The response I got then was that he’d be able to get one in the post to me that week and that was a month ago. If it doesn’t show up this week I am cancelling and opening a case with PayPal if necessary.
    Yeah, he does seem a bit flakey and/or to have bitten off more than he can chew.

I put an order in too to take advantage of the 25% off, I should probably chase to see if I'm even in this batch or will be waiting until May.

If you could update this thread as and when you're had resolution I'd be very grateful, thanks :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Of course you could output the 3 string pickup to a separate amplifier.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Of course you could output the 3 string pickup to a separate amplifier.
    Yes, the plan has evolved to the bass strings going to my AER via an octave pedal and delay.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791

I was going to suggest getting some Atlansia pickups, but it seems they don't sell them separately any more.

httpwwwatlansiajpARS0JPG
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Lewy said:

Yes, the plan has evolved to the bass strings going to my AER via an octave pedal and delay.
    I’m not sure that’s wise, unless you’re playing really quietly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Lewy said:

I’m not sure that’s wise, unless you’re playing really quietly.
    Solo acoustic volumes only - anything louder and I’d go straight into the PA
    @paganskins I had a shipping confirmation email through this morning! Did you get one too?
    Lewy said:

I meant really quiet home practice volume.

Putting bass - effectively - through a small acoustic amp like that at any real volume is a bad idea, the power section and speaker aren't designed to handle it.

I would get a cheap bass amp.

Lewy said:
    @paganskins I had a shipping confirmation email through this morning! Did you get one too?
    No, not yet. I did send a request for an ETA but haven't had anything back, I'll give him until Monday and follow it up.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the pickup once it's landed.
    ICBM said:
    Lewy said:

I meant really quiet home practice volume.

Putting bass - effectively - through a small acoustic amp like that at any real volume is a bad idea, the power section and speaker aren't designed to handle it.

I would get a cheap bass amp.
    Hmmm...ok. I knew I wouldn’t be able
    to do it loud but if it really has to be that quiet I shall take your advice on that!
    Lewy said:

Hmmm...ok. I knew I wouldn’t be able
    to do it loud but if it really has to be that quiet I shall take your advice on that!
    I may be overly paranoid, but it's an expensive thing to be wrong about if I'm not! AERs are not the easiest things to work on if the power stage goes down either...

Got mine, probably won't get a chance to try it out until Monday though.