Schaller locking tuner , what size do I need?

What's Hot
JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
Hi guys

I have just joined the forum ,so bear with me :) .
I am in the process of upgrading my old guitar . What I want to do , is to buy some hardware , fit it myself and then book a visit to my local luthier to do a complete setup and frets.

First problem I have come across are the locking tuners. I'd like to buy a Schaller M6 locking tuners , but their headstock sizes are different ( 18mm , 19.5mm and 21mm ) to what I have on my guitar , which is 23.7mm .
Schaller's customer service was useless and provided no help at all .
I am hoping some of you experienced with hardware would help me to pick the right size without modification .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    Where are you taking the measurement(s)?

On what make/model of guitar are you working?

What diameter are the existing machinehead bores?

How are the existing machineheads located - screw lug or concealed “peg” into the headstock?

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163

How are the existing machineheads located - screw lug or concealed “peg” into the headstock?

The guitar is Yamaha pac120s . The bore size is 10.5mm but original tuners size is 10mm . 
    Existing tuners are locating by 2 X 2.5mm pins on left hand side of tuner .
    It is kind of difficult to explain to me at least where are measured dimension come from , so best if you could quickly check The Schaller model which is M6 PIN or see if link below works for you .
    https://schaller.info/en/m6-series/272/m6-pin?number=10030620.01.37
    Jazzthat said:

The guitar is Yamaha pac120s . The bore size is 10.5mm but original tuners size is 10mm . 
    Existing tuners are locating by 2 X 2.5mm pins on left hand side of tuner .
    It is kind of difficult to explain to me at least where are measured dimension come from , so best if you could quickly check The Schaller model which is M6 PIN or see if link below works for you .
    https://schaller.info/en/m6-series/272/m6-pin?number=10030620.01.37

If you click on the link , scroll down to description and again scroll down to find all dimensions for solid headstock as well as locking tuner headstock dimensions.
    Like I said mine is a solid 23.7mm but want to move on to locking ones.
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    Schaller 6 in line locking tuner sets come with staggered posts, 3 posts are 21mm tall and then 3 are 19.5mm tall, this means you no longer have to use string trees.

It is worth measuring the distance from the tuner post to the mounting pins as different tuners have these in slightly difference places so they're not guaranteed to be a straight swap.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    Schaller 6 in line locking tuner sets come with staggered posts, 3 posts are 21mm tall and then 3 are 19.5mm tall, this means you no longer have to use string trees.

It is worth measuring the distance from the tuner post to the mounting pins as different tuners have these in slightly difference places so they're not guaranteed to be a straight swap.
    Thanks .
    So despite mine posts are 23 .7 mm you reckon a set of 19.5-21mm staggered tuners will be good and direct replacement?
    As for  other dimensions ,they are matching , although 2x pins on schaller's tuners are 2.3mm and mine are 2.5mm so it  might be a slight problem ?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    Jazzthat said:
    23 .7 mm
    With respect, this figure is meaningless unless you state the part of the hardware to which it refers.

Knowing Schaller M6 'heads as I do, the likeliest explanation for the three figures quoted earlier was the maximum HEIGHT of the things.

Jazzthat said:
    So despite mine posts are 23 .7 mm you reckon a set of 19.5-21mm staggered tuners will be good and direct replacement?
    Affirmative.

It is by being less tall than the stock Ping 'heads that the Schallers create sufficient break angle over the nut to (allegedly) eliminate the need for string guides.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Jazzthat said:
    23 .7 mm
    With respect, this figure is meaningless unless you state the part of the hardware to which it refers.

Knowing Schaller M6 'heads as I do, the likeliest explanation for the three figures quoted earlier was the maximum HEIGHT of the things.

I have added a link for you , so you can have look at it . But it seems that dim is from the bottom of post to the string hole .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom