Best budget Baritone electric

What's Hot
Hi folks, advice appreciated here...

I am looking to buy a Baritone for an upcoming project, but am struggling to find much under £500. Other than the Squier JM Bari is there anything out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BenBen Frets: 114
    How about a 2nd hand PRS SE Mike Mushok or PRS SE 277? They're normally in the £350-£500 range when they pop up on Facebook!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    Harley-Benton might have something. Some upgrading might be necessary but the overall outlay should still be modest.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Squier Bass VI. It’s called a bass but better used as a baritone, I think.

Just make sure you budget for replacing the strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5778
    ICBM said:

Exactly this. I could find no joy or use from my Bass VI in the standard E to E tuning but in A or B it was glorious. 

For £500 you could buy the guitar and make significant upgrades. Or just save some money of course. 
  • Ben said:
    How about a 2nd hand PRS SE Mike Mushok or PRS SE 277? They're normally in the £350-£500 range when they pop up on Facebook!
    Thanks for the response! 

These look like lovely instruments, but aesthetically don't fit the bill/brief. This wouldn't necessarily be a consideration were it not for number of upcoming live shows.

Thanks again.
  • Harley-Benton might have something. Some upgrading might be necessary but the overall outlay should still be modest.
    Thanks! 

The ones I can find are all "too metal" for the project. Good suggestion though!
  • ICBM said:

I have a Squier VI which I love and have used both live and for writing. It is slightly TOO "bassy" for this project - I am definitely firmly in the Bari arena.

Thanks for your reply! 
  • dazzajl said:
    ICBM said:

Exactly this. I could find no joy or use from my Bass VI in the standard E to E tuning but in A or B it was glorious. 

For £500 you could buy the guitar and make significant upgrades. Or just save some money of course. 
    Thanks for the response.

I was considering this, but the scale length and necessarily thinner string gauge put me off - I also find lots of use for the VI in E!!! 

:-)

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    I'll second the PRS 277... secondhand you could grab one easily. I had the P90 version for a while, it was quite a bit of guitar for the money.

If it *must* be new then I might look at Danelectro... they have a few options by the looks of things. They always seem to be a good shout for that "one extra" like baris or 12-strings...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:
    I'll second the PRS 277... secondhand you could grab one easily. I had the P90 version for a while, it was quite a bit of guitar for the money.

If it *must* be new then I might look at Danelectro... they have a few options by the looks of things. They always seem to be a good shout for that "one extra" like baris or 12-strings...
    No need for it to be new at all - I prefer second hand instruments as a rule.

As previously mentioned, the PRS looks like a great instrument. Unfortunately, it just doesn't quite "fit" with the project.

I may check it out properly in the future though. Thanks! :-)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5778
    dazzajl said:
    ICBM said:

Thanks for the response.

I was considering this, but the scale length and necessarily thinner string gauge put me off - I also find lots of use for the VI in E!!! 

:-)

You are clearly a more rounded individual than I  ;)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Hi folks, advice appreciated here...

I am looking to buy a Baritone for an upcoming project, but am struggling to find much under £500. Other than the Squier JM Bari is there anything out there?
    What put's you off the Squier Baritone, scale length? Fender did do 27 inch scale Telecaster Baritone. Been discontinued, but there's one here.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2589
    edited February 2019
    I've got baritone strings on my Fender Tornado at the moment. Works well enough. I have an itch to buy a proper bari at some point though. Either the Gretsch or Reverend Descent.

ETA: I like the Descent because of the shorter scale length - I don't think I'd get on so well with something as long as the Bass VI
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    Not sure if you'd be able to find one of these second-hand but if you could I'm sure it would be under £500...

https://eastwoodguitars.co.uk/collections/baritone-guitars/products/jeff-senn-model-one-baritone
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1389
    edited February 2019
    There might be a cheap ESP Ltd baritone on ebay, keep an eye out. Or else a Danelectro or Gretsch or Sidejack baritone
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

You could put a Baritone conversion neck onto a Fender style guitar.

Warmoth make them, although they are not cheap:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&nScale=306&Paint=1&Path=Baritone,Finished&i=BTN1714#.XFsRAU1LFaQ

Don't know if someone in this country could make you one at a better price.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    If you're only tuning down to B you can do it on a standard scale length - if you think about it four of the strings are tuned exactly the same as normal, they're just in different positions. One is a semitone lower (F# instead of G) and the bottom B is the only one you'll have a problem with. I've used cut-down double-ball-end bass strings, the smaller ball is the same size as a guitar one - a 60 or 65 gauge seems about right. Obviously you will need to file the nut grooves out, but nothing else. I've done a couple of conversions on Telecasters like this - one I even went down to A at one point, using a 15-gauge top string, a wound 22 second, and a 75 low A - but that was pushing it, not least because I had to unwind the outer wrap of the A string to get it into the tuner post...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    Might be able to find a Schecter Hellcat VI or Ultra VI within your price range.