Why does my guitar sound so s**t through cans?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    @guitars4you please update when you have tried, ta.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Years ago I had some Skullcandy HESH headphones which sounded absolutely pants for music, really harsh and middly. They were great for playing my guitar through, though: sounded almost exactly the same as my amp (Yam THR5 at the time), just directly into my ears.

They broke last year, and I replaced them with a different model. These ones sound much better for music, but crap for playing my guitar through. I guess it's to do with the 'tuning' that's being done by the cans to make music sound better.

I presume that studio monitor headphones will be a lot more flat tonally, so guitar will sound good through them?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Presumably they have some components in the headphone out to try and emulate a speaker, sounds like they have got it wrong

I think it's the opposite.
    They use fancy tech from the Hi-Fi department to make the speakers sound good, but what it takes to get a good room sound from 2 tiny speakers is different to a full size guitar amp output. So if headphones reproduce the amp output sans the acoustic engineering that is applied to the speakers then they will not sound the same.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Get one of these, then you can play through headphones anywhere in the house...

they sound just like a tube amp ... honest

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Not familiar with the THR10, does it also have some from of speaker emulation/IR on it?

I have found that when I use earphones, even 'good' earphones that aren't designed for monitoring then I don't tend to get good results when playing guitar using them.  Using ones that are designed to be monitors is a lot better, but when used to listen to music, it can sounds quite lifeless.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Years ago I had some Skullcandy HESH headphones which sounded absolutely pants for music, really harsh and middly. They were great for playing my guitar through, though: sounded almost exactly the same as my amp (Yam THR5 at the time), just directly into my ears.

They broke last year, and I replaced them with a different model. These ones sound much better for music, but crap for playing my guitar through. I guess it's to do with the 'tuning' that's being done by the cans to make music sound better.

I presume that studio monitor headphones will be a lot more flat tonally, so guitar will sound good through them?
    The headphones I get good results from are definitely monitor headphones.

The inventor of the parametric EQ has said they are the only headphones he would mix on due to their flat response .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7491
    pmbomb said:
    yeah but I'm playing along to Ace of Spades!

and my family's definition of "too loud" is directly equivalent to "audible".
    Sounds like you need to trade in your family - does Reverb have a category for that? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited February 2019
    pmbomb said:
    roberty said:
    I track through cans and find it helps.  You don't get any transient smear from room reflections so you can lock in better
    I don't know what this means.
    It means the attack of the notes is smeared in the time domain by the sound travelling around the room. Basically not as crisp and dry
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    trying my iPad with Tonebridge - sounds way better on 'phones than the Yamaha. even usable!
  • Get one of these, then you can play through headphones anywhere in the house...

they sound just like a tube amp ... honest

I've had a couple of these over the years, great little gadget.
  • Try John Dale's shelving EQ presets.

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=THR10&ID=9323

I had a THR 10 and found they improved the sound a lot. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    ICBM said:
    I hate playing through headphones. I'd rather just play clean at very low volume or even unplugged.
    +1...But not unplugged. However, I do use headphones sometimes if I want to play loud late at night. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)