Nobody Falls For This Do They?

What's Hot
CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
I have a guitar advertised on gumtree and got the inevitable is this still available message followed by the obvious scam attempt. I am sure we are all aware of what to look out for but the fact these people still keep trying means they must be getting success somewhere. So if you see a message similar to the one below please don’t fall for it.

“Great I'll buy it but I'll nt be able to come fr the pick up due to my disability. I'll arrange fr tht with a pick up guy.I'll make the payment through Pay Pal for the safety of both of us. I'll need your name, the pickup address & your pay pal email address for the payment. If you don't have pay pal account It's very easy and secured just visit their website and click on signup.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    I guess if they send it to thousands of people all they need is one or two to bite every now & again...
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    Whitecat said:
    I guess if they send it to thousands of people all they need is one or two to bite every now & again...
    Yep hate the thought of people getting caught out with this sort of stuff.
  • I've recently got this but with guitar lessons. The person said "a private driver will be transporting their children to the lessons". Just when I thought I've heard it all!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10707
    Can you put a tracking device in it? That’d be fun. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Can you put a tracking device in it? That’d be fun. 
    Or...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Whitecat said:
    Someone here posted a while ago that it’s actually deliberately obvious, with as exaggerated a story and as many red flags as they can think of - they want to exclude all but the most gullible victims as soon as possible.

What they don’t want is to invest a lot of time and effort in a set-up only for the victim to realise what’s going on just before the pay-off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    edited February 2019
    ICBM said:
    Whitecat said:
    Someone here posted a while ago that it’s actually deliberately obvious, with as exaggerated a story and as many red flags as they can think of - they want to exclude all but the most gullible victims as soon as possible.

What they don’t want is to invest a lot of time and effort in a set-up only for the victim to realise what’s going on just before the pay-off.
    In that case I will be sure to string them along for as long as possible next time  =)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • im wondering if its some sort of ID theft attempt too, as ive had a couple of these that have texted me from a non text-backable number but requesting that i emailed them. i havnt a clue what was going on but i just ignored anyway.
  • I had exactly the same thing. I offered to deliver the guitar in person and give them a chance to try it out.

No reply!
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    im wondering if its some sort of ID theft attempt too, as ive had a couple of these that have texted me from a non text-backable number but requesting that i emailed them. i havnt a clue what was going on but i just ignored anyway.
    I've often found that it's a Gmail address as well. 
    Call me Dave.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Just tell them I'm sorry it's sold and on it's way to a lovely gentleman in Lagos who is going to be making a transfer from his Swiss account when it arrives at Nigeria Customs Office
    ......Shake 'em up and let them think they have some stiff competition !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom