Compressor after drives?

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 460
Anyone tried this? I think it sounds really good 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For a heavy drive I feel like it wouldnt really be doing much..the drive is already compressing the signal
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. Works for me....

Fat General after Duellist...
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    Yep, after drives is where my compressor goes. It means I can still clean up the drive from the guitar. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5297
    same here compressor after drives
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4266
    edited February 2019
    Yep, always after drives. When you roll back the guitar volume, your drive cleans up but your volume doesn’t change as much. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    I put my compressor before the drives.  My pedalboard follows this approach:

https://www.strymon.net/setting-up-your-effect-signal-chain/

But as stated, there is no 'wrong' way to set up your pedalboard and different approaches give different sonic results. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Never. It just strangles the sound and compresses far too much for my liking.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited February 2019
    I'd say it just depends. With longer attack settings on a compressor, if you're playing a riff that's quite staccato, you can use a compressor to add transient punch at the start of notes - the longer attack makes it more dynamic *with* the compressor. Also, compression after extreme EQ, so, say you wanted to run a drive pedal really scratchy and bright, tends to soften the extremes of the eq.

But that's all just a hypothetical, I've never ran compression after drive because practically, I've never seen the point.
  • Great replies all!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Compressor after everything for me on my main board. Only subtle use that way.

My rehearsal rig (carrier bag of bits) has an MXR Dyna comp which I run last in the chain too, but that is a lot more aggressive in ratio and attack and isn't 'always on'.
  • Depends on the compressor. In terms of handling a hot input signal I haven’t come across anything that touches the API Tranzformer. It always feels like it has more headroom in reserve. By comparison a regular MXR/Dynacomp circuit will reach its limit fairly quickly depending on what you use before it.
  • Before for me.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922