The Jam Fan...help

What's Hot
Hi,
I'm a massive Jam fan and have been playing the guitar for nearly 2 years ( about halfway through Justin Guitar Intermediate Course) 

I've recently got a Tab book with a lot of their hits in which has the chords but no indication on the strumming, and there isn't many lessons online.

Anyone any advice on working out the strumming...or is it above my ability at the moment.

Thanks

Mick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    Search YouTube for a video lesson or play through.

Love The Jam.
  • Which songs in particular? It might sound too simplistic but listening to the song, slowing it down (if you can) and figuring out the strumming pattern from that would be the best way to go. That's the way I learned to strum every song I know, after all you only have an up strum and a down strum.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    My advice would be to listen to the songs, and try to memorise the rhythm of the strumming patterns.

After that, it’s just a matter of working out a way of reproducing that pattern in the most efficient way possible. It doesn’t have to the the same as what they do, as long as you’re comfortable. If it means all down strokes at the start, then so be it. But you will soon realise where it makes more sense to do an up stroke instead. Just keep it natural, and keep the movement of your arm flowing, and you can’t go too wrong.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Hi Mick you tube is your friend
    go to the search engine and type 

modfather1965

georgiarose16

alan robinson

some great lessons well explained with chord boxes

modfather has some class ricky guitars as well

:) 

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    it's not above your ability.

get a slower-downer program if it helps (I use iRehearse Plus).

ask for help here on specific tunes.

but mostly - don't beat yourself up about being to the record accurate. feel is more important. &  it's normal for bands to play live not spot on to the record (and even different every night).

the record is a launch pad not a straightjacket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Maynehead said:
    My advice would be to listen to the songs, and try to memorise the rhythm of the strumming patterns.

After that, it’s just a matter of working out a way of reproducing that pattern in the most efficient way possible. It doesn’t have to the the same as what they do, as long as you’re comfortable. If it means all down strokes at the start, then so be it. But you will soon realise where it makes more sense to do an up stroke instead. Just keep it natural, and keep the movement of your arm flowing, and you can’t go too wrong.
    Yeah I’d go with that - just feel your way through them without trying to replicate the exact patterns and you will be fine.

Get your palm muting sorted for chugging bar chords and learn the quick down up down that he uses to let a chord ring out.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited February 2019
    Listen to the songs, listen, listen, listen and listen over and over again with a guitar in your hand. That's how I learned to play The Jam's songs, and watch plenty of live videos. 

At times Paul Weller had a great ability to fill up The Jam's sound with his guitar and make a wall of sound that can make clearly distinguishing his rythym patterns a little tricky, some are easier than others, the 100 Club gig from Sept ’77 is a great example of how he could grind and slash away in quite an indistinguishable way.

He also wrapped his thumb over the top of the neck a lot of the time which adds to his style and chord fingerings a lot.

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    also check out stevoguitar on you tube

start with easy jam first 

possibly tube station 
  • Maynehead said:

Totally agree.

The key for me is good listening, I can't always translate what I hear in to absolutely perfect strumming patter but generally get reasonably close. YouTube is great because if you go in to the settings tab you an slow down the video (normal. 0.75, 0.50, 0.25), I use this a lot with lessons, it allows my slow brain to keep up with people who are much better than me.

But you probably already knew that: )
  • Jeez wasn't expecting so many replies...thanks awfully everyone.

Mr Weller certainly does have attitude when he's playing back then.. only wished i'd got to see them live.

If anyone gets bored and wants to tab some out drop me a message...I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone !
  • Jeez wasn't expecting so many replies...thanks awfully everyone.

Mr Weller certainly does have attitude when he's playing back then.. only wished i'd got to see them live.

If anyone gets bored and wants to tab some out drop me a message...I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone !
    Our band is called (at the moment) The Pastel Fields (spot the Jam song...) and we cOver some of The Jam stuff... Wellers playing is more advanced than most think...

I saw them live 4 times... still the most amazing, spiritual experience Ive ever had at a live gig...
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Jeez wasn't expecting so many replies...thanks awfully everyone.

Thanks again everyone !
    What tunes are you tackling at the moment?

I can’t tab but might be able to help a bit with anything that you’re finding tricky.

And there’s much better players than me on here who might be able to input.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Get the basics of your strumming pattern sorted early.  Bad habits, and i have lots, take years to get rid of once they are established.

As well as the excellent Jam sources mentioned above find a basic strumming pattern video.  Learn basics 1/8th/1/16th note strum patterns is worth the effort in the long term

http://acousticguitar.com/get-rhythm-part-1/

is a good start by the supremely talented Gretchen Menn
  • Ok thanks guys, what kicked it off was watching absolute beginners on you tube and thinking what a great tune...i saw Foxton play with Stiff little fingers, watched Weller when he toured with his album Wild Wood ( I think ) and have seen Foxton again a couple of times with From The Jam..

thanks again.