Schaller Revised Strap Locks (s-locks)

What's Hot
Bought a set of the updates locks, with the integrated screw thread which you insert an Allen key into.

The older locks have a locking pin that's too big to fit so if you have multiple straps, the ones with the older quick release locking portion won't fit. (I have a couple of Heistercamp straps so although I've fitted the new locking portion to one of them, the other has the existing locks on.

I did find that a quick whisper over with a 7mm drill bit (ideally in a drill press for accuracy) will make them fit, but it's a bit piss poor design-wise. I guess we're just supposed to replace them all with new ones.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Yeah that is a bit shit. Puts me off buying them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    From the Schaller website - "Schaller`s S-Locks are fully compatible with all existing Schaller Security Locks!"

Seems they haven't done their testing properly...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    I've not found that. I've got one set of old Schaller strap locks and one set of the new S-locks, and the locks on both straps work with the buttons on both guitars.

The new strap buttons are a big improvement imho.
  • ICBM said:
    From the Schaller website - "Schaller`s S-Locks are fully compatible with all existing Schaller Security Locks!"

Seems they haven't done their testing properly...
    Exactly, I have three sets on three straps (plus the new ones) none of the existing ones would lock into the new ones. disappointing, fortunately easily rectified, but still not so scintillating.

I tried to take the measurements. Hole in the new "guitar part" was 6mm with digital calipers. Admittedly i couldn't get the calipers onto the pin on the old locking pins, but pulling the pin out (as if removing from the guitar) the hole measured 6.72mm so even if there is .5mm clearance, it's still 6.2mm.

Hopefully it's of some use to people.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I sometimes get the Grover compatible ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Prowla wiz'd Thanks, I'll give them a look
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I've had no problems with old buttons on new pins? I'll give it another go. I also think the new ones are much improved
  • roberty said:
    I've had no problems with old buttons on new pins? I'll give it another go. I also think the new ones are much improved
    interesting! Yeah I really like the one piece construction. 

I will say all the ones I've tried were original Schaller. one set of gold (to match SRV strat) and two sets of Nickel.
  • Strange. My old ones are interchangeable.

Ive actually got a spare set of the new ones to sell, if anyone’s interested 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited February 2019
    I’ve not had any old/ new compatibility problems. Have Schallers on all my guitars.

However, I dont like like the new ones for two reasons:

1) I find the release mechanism on the strap harder to use one handed (one hand generally needs to hold the guitar!).

2) In using the new fixed angle, one piece end pin design I noticed that the button hole on the bottom of one of my guitars wasn’t drilled exactlly perpindicular to the body. With the old 2 piece design there is slight play between button and screw so the button still sits flush on the guitar. With the new design the button was forced to sit at a slight, very annoying angle and dents the finish on one side. I swapped back to old style for that reason.

Which finish are they?

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3604
    I swear by Loxx. Very well engineered and I never need to tighten them.

Which finish are they?

Steve, they are the chrome plated ones mate.

PM me if you are interested. These ones :)

• @Wazmeister Incoming PM  :)