Strats... which one

Hi all,

being a a knowledgable bunch I thought I’d ask around. Looking at getting a strat-new or used. Likely Mexican series as on a budget. 

I am looking for something broadly vintage in style but it doesn’t have to be slavishly so. Crucially I want a 9.5 radius neck (or flatter) (so not vintage there!) as looking for something I can lift up the action on and play slide and i find flatter radius boards better for that. 

I would have gone straight for the classic series, but the boards are 7.25. The classic player series looks ok and boards are flatter (the 60s is 12 which would be great) but prices are now really high on those. 

Or there is the the new player series-not vintage really but may be ok.... I’ve not tried one yet.

Any one know of anything else I should consider/may have missed-Off brand if needs be. Ideally in the £500 region. The other option is the classic vibe-are they as good as the reviews suggest?

Cheers all,

Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    For your budget and requirements I'd he.out for a 2nd hand USA standard
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Wait patiently and get a used Robert Cray sig. Made in Mexico. If you’re considering slide I doubt a trem will be especially useful for you. Best sub £1K Strats out there, wonderful necks, great pickups. 
  • Jimmie Vaughan Strat. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • If I was you I would make contact with this seller on here...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/149534/fs-fender-classic-player-strat-sonic-blue#latest

I had an identical looking CP 60s a couple of years ago, great guitar. Easily a match for any USA Standard or Highway One you'll find for your budget.
  • Thanks for the CP link-l’ve made contact re that! 
  • I would cast around to see if any MIJ Fenders were available. Aerodyne Strats (for example) are superb quality at roughly Mexican prices.

But you have to scrutinize specs carefully as the Japanese tend to make some crazy versions.

I found what I thought was the perfect one last month (used) at £650. This one had a 24.75 scale, which is fine for me, but not the narrow 40mm nut! That's even narrower than Rickenbackers.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent