The Old Grey Wrinkled Testicle

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6200
Whispering Bob at his best :grin: 

Having watched alot of Whistle Test videos that have been posted up to YouTube recently I'd forgotten just how much of a pretentious twat he was back then. 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Up until recently somebody was posting all of the OGWT videos. Sadly, YT closed the channel due to copyright infringement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 888
    He was at Greenbelt 2 years ago and his talk was packed out.

That was the year I started to wonder if I need a hearing aid.  I was sitting just outside the door of the tent and I could honestly not discern a single word.
  • Philtre said:
    Up until recently somebody was posting all of the OGWT videos. Sadly, YT closed the channel due to copyright infringement.
    One of the complaints you sometimes see is that the OGWT has this enormous archive but very little of it is used. I put on some of those whole shows that were on YouTube and you suddenly realise why, they broadcast some right old shite at times. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Philtre said:
    One of the complaints you sometimes see is that the OGWT has this enormous archive but very little of it is used. I put on some of those whole shows that were on YouTube and you suddenly realise why, they broadcast some right old shite at times. 
    True. But there were some gems - Stackridge, Sadistic Mika Band.

And perhaps they no longer have the rights to broadcast the artists' material?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Always amazes me how many of the performers were miming on Whistle Test.
    edited February 2019
    dogload said:
    In the early days, yes. But in later years I don't think they were miming.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    revsorg said:
    He was at Greenbelt 2 years ago and his talk was packed out.

That was the year I started to wonder if I need a hearing aid.  I was sitting just outside the door of the tent and I could honestly not discern a single word.
    You struggled to hear whispering Bob? Can’t think why.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited February 2019

Philtre said:
    Philtre said:

They always seem to re-show the same old clips, many of which are good, but which came from the shows featuring, what, 3 or 4 songs from each artist? So why not show us some of the others? 

Even the DVDs, which are great, have only one song per artist. I’d love to see a few more volumes released.

Mind you, a higher priority would be seeing more Tube DVDs released.

But I suppose nobody buys DVDs anymore, apart from old farts like me.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    dogload said:
    I was always confused by The Who miming Long Live Rock on TOGWT. 
  • Wasn't it a union thing like top of the pops, where they had to mime to a rerecording?
  • Philtre said:
    Philtre said:

I watched the Sadistic Mika Band one. Not really my cup of tea but playing live to a dead room completely robbed it of atmosphere, just hard work for any act. I guess seeing bands like that on the TV at all was something but it's odd and soulless.
  • Wasn't it a union thing like top of the pops, where they had to mime to a rerecording?
    IIRC the first series was made in a tiny studio without the space or facilities for actual live bands. 
    edited February 2019
    For me, it was the only way to see and hear more interesting music in the early 70s. I discovered many wonderful things.

Did you see the prog rock band "Druid." Oh my, sounded a little bit like Yes. ;-)
  • Philtre said:
    For me, it was the only way to see and hear more interesting music in the early 70s. I discovered many wonderful things.

Did you see the prog rock band "Druid." Oh my, sounded a little bit like Yes. ;-)
    I saw that, I’m fairly sure that the day after the original broadcast was the day punk started. 

Their bassist became an actor, most notably the narrowboat owner in Rosie and Jim and their keyboard player did TV music including the theme for Rosie and Jim. Their drummer joined Tubeway Army. No idea what the guitarist did. 
    edited February 2019

I saw that, I’m fairly sure that the day after the original broadcast was the day punk started.
    I was a fan of Prog - Yes, Genesis, ELP and I probably enjoyed Druid at the time (I know, I know...) but looking back now it's clear that Prog had most definitely jumped the shark. Even without Punk I think people were losing interest in Prog and it had had its day. Also on the rise in the mid 70s was Disco, American New Wave and other things. Punk was part of the move.
    edited February 2019
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Love a bit of Toad the Wet Sprocket.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4971
    Philtre said:

Fluid Druid - I've still got their album on vinyl.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4971
    I used to like the OGWT with Whispering Bob.

I went off it when they got that sneery woman on instead.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    This one too :-)